Mash or Blend Dilema

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gr8p

Reaction score
I would like to know if it is better to use a blender when breaking up pears for a wine recipe. Most call to quarter and remove seeds then mash and put into primary fermenter. Wouldn't it be easier and add more surface area to use a blender to break up pears then add to primary?

I would like to know if it is better to use a blender when breaking up pears for a wine recipe. Most call to quarter and remove seeds then mash and put into primary fermenter. Wouldn't it be easier and add more surface area to use a blender to break up pears then add to primary?

Been there done that. Dont blend. It will create too much lee. Just cut, core and put in paint strainer bag. Make sure to add pictic enzyme.

RR

Thank you for the info.

just racked my first wine ever, used concord grapes from the garden. I used the hose given in the wine kit i bought but wondering...instead of creating suction to siphon the wine to the carbouy why not just pour from primary thru a funnel? Too much oxygen introduced? I had to try 5 times to keep siphon going, kept getting stuck w/ skins from grapes :slp

Next time, put your grapes in a ferment bag. When done fermenting the skins, lift the bag out, let the bag drain or press it, and the skins are out of the way. now you can siphon it with out the gunk in the way. Like RR says, paint strainer bag or bag from your local home brew store. Arne.

Last edited:
Back