Martina’s ABE Wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MedPretzel

Reaction score
ABE = Anise, Banana, Elderberry

Makes 1 gallon

2 lbs very ripe bananas
1/2 cup dried elderberries
1 tsp curshed anise (powdery)
7 quarts water
10 cups sugar
1/2 tsp pectic enzyme
1 tsp nutrient
1 tsp acid blend

1 packet of Montrachet yeast

Cut bananas in slices and put in straining bag. Add the 1/2 cup elderberries and anise to that too. In the meantime, boil the water and dissolve the sugar in it. (I used more water because I read that there is a lot of sediment from bananas.)

Let cool, add the remaining ingredients.

My initial SG was 1.110

Excellet wine even after 6 months of bulk aging. Edited by: MedPretzel

Sounds good, and should be quite tannic with that much dried elderberries. I usually think 4oz. is too much per gallon, but I am not big on tannin. Did you leave the peels on the bananas or peel them first?

I left the peels on. It looked pretty icky when it was all in the straining bag, but it turned out great.

I think you might even like it.

If you hate black licorice, then you've barely tasted what anise is like. Anise is a main ingredient in black licorice.

I hate black licorice, but this wine just has a hint of it, that it actually gives the wine an interesting flavor.

No!!!! The wine tastes nothing like licorice!!!

There is a hint of something but you'd never guess it that it's anise. It gives it (in my limited wine-vocab) complexity.

I am certain they are, Glenvall. You use oak in yours. I'm still struggling with that one. And pH and sulfite.. ugh. I thought i had left chemistry behind me a long time ago.

It always comes back to haunt me.

Just like math.

How true that statement is!
smiley36.gif

I don't know how to describe it, except that it's good.
smiley5.gif

Sorry, I'm not good with tasting .

You might just be getting some perfume samples in the mail, Glenvall, if you keep up all your compliments.

I bet that is sure enough some good wine for sure, Martina. It sure is a pretty color. I think you did a mighty fine job with it.

smiley4.gif

Latest posts

Back