Mango wine from fruit

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mikejapan

Reaction score
I'm trying to find a simple recipe for mango wine for my friend in Jamaica. It has to be simple because supplies here are limited as well as funds. Thanks.

Get as much fruit as you can..

Day 1:
Remove the seeds/stones & quarter the fruit
Place the fruit in a nylon or straining bag
Add enough water to cover, if there isnt enough fruit juice
Add pectin enzyme & let it sit for a day

Day 2:
Add sugar (hydrometer helps here) to make a sweet juice, not cloyingly sweet (if no hydrometer)
Add nutrient/energizer (if avaiable, some bananas if not - peels left on)
Add yeast

Then ferment.. Degas & clear.. Age & bottle

Deezil: my kind of guy !!!

Thats exactly the way I would do it.

One thing extra though: measure acidity and adjust.

Luc

My friend has very little to work with as she has very little money. There will be plenty of mangos though when the season comes in a couple of months. Next winter when I come down for my winter visit I will try and bring along some of the basic supplies. Thanks for the info and this time she will have to wing it.

Yep slice the bananas up into about 1-inch chunks.. Leave the peels on to help add tannins to the wine.. Some actually slice the bananas up, warm them over the stove & make a sort of soup out of them before adding.. Cant say which method works best though, but ive heard of it done both ways

I've done bananas ALL ways, and there are subtle differences. The skins on do add some tannin and nutrients but more flavor as well (and should be cleaned thoroughly). Boiling blows off most if not all of the flavor/aromatics. I've found bananas add to mouthfeel as well. These are just my observations.

I made a very simple mango wine that came out delicate and delicious. Stuck the chopped fruit, some sugar, and water in a primary fermentation bucket, added a papaya skin for pectin enzyme, added yeast and let sit. I'm not sure how to make it without a racking (if she doesn't have the quipment) since there will be loads of fiberous sediment.

Consider removing the skins as many people are allergic to them.

Mike
Absolutely remove the skins. I don't think that would make a very good wine. I could be wrong though...if some crazy person out there makes it with skins I'd love to hear about it.:h

Absolutely remove the skins. I don't think that would make a very good wine. I could be wrong though...if some crazy person out there makes it with skins I'd love to hear about it.:h

when we made banana wine with the club i used to belong to, we left the skins on, as per the recipe....as mentioned earlier, it helps add body and tannins to the wine...

when we made banana wine with the club i used to belong to, we left the skins on, as per the recipe....as mentioned earlier, it helps add body and tannins to the wine...
Sorry...maybe a little too early in the morning for me to post. :p I was thinking of the mangos, not the bananas.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back