Malolactic fermentation question

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lavorgna

Reaction score
Question about Malolactic fermentation.
Is it too late to start? Grape wine has stopped fermenting and have never started malolactic fermaentation in the past.
Trying something new. My cab sav was made in may and pinot noir sangiovese were made in oct.
let me know your thoughts

Yes, I'm guessing you have added preservatives (sodium metabisulfite or SO2). The fermentation needs to have SO2 levels between 10-20 mg/l and alcohol levels need to be below 13.5%.
It's typically inoculated when your wine is on it's lees.

so for future reference. start immediately after first fermentation?
Is there a significant difference in taste and texture
when you do MF?

Lavorgna,
Hi, how long has it been since fermentation completed? Although MLB is usually inoculated before racking, therefore on the Lees, it will be fine without it, it is just another source of nutrients, if you add a Malolactic nutrient such as Opti-Malo, you will be fine.

lawrstin had a good point regarding meta, have you stabilized your wine yet? As far as SO2 and ABV levels, it really depends on the MLB that you intend on using, I would recommend Bacchus for a 5-6 gallon batch, for anything larger, I'd go with VP 41, by the time you purchase a few packets of (Lalvin) Bacchus, you could get VP 41.
There is a great deal of difference between wine that has been put through MLF and a wine that hasn't, obviously we are talking about reds, there are only a few whites that are normally put through MLF.

The most obvious differences will be such as taste, mouth feel, smoothness, aromas to name a few. The biggest issue with not putting wine through MLF is the possibility of spontaneous Malolactic fermentation from wild MLB strains, the results can be as dangerous as bottle bursting, negative characteristics associated with that particular strain of wild bacteria.
To make matters worse, if a spontaneous, but undesirable, strain of Malolactic bacteria becomes implanted in the winery, then all subsequent wine made in that winery, commercial or home winery, may be in danger of exhibiting the negative characteristics associated with that particular strain of bacteria.

The key is to use a reliable strain of MLB, I use either lalvin VP41 or MBR 31.
The MLB available to us today have been screened for tolerance to the wine components that can inhibit or prevent their growth such as PH, TA, SO2, Alcohol and temperature tolerances.
VP 41 will perform well at a pH above 3.2 and a total SO2 level of 50-60 ppm, if you added meta, the normal 1/4 tsp per 5-6 gals of wine averages out to be approx. 50 ppm, take into consideration how sulfites react with various various chemical compounds and solids naturally present in our wines, the amount of free sulfite remaining in the wine after we make an addition often falls short of our calculated goal, I think that you will be fine, it also does well In temperatures below 16ºC(61ºF) it is a slow starter but can complete fermentation.
Nutritional requirements of MLB strains were researched, as was the compatibility with various yeast strains used to produce the wine, with this data we can ensure reliable and complete MLF.
MLF is very easy, I highly recommend purchasing Acti-ML, a MLB hydrating nutrient, and Opti-Malo Plus, a MLB nutrient.

I hope this helps, if you have any other questions, don't hesitate to ask.

this is all great informative stuff..Thank you! I will try a small batch. I racked twice and added some meta.
i need to get the ph levels checked.average temperature in my basement is just under 60 degrees and that is where it has been since Oct when it was made.

I have about 50 gal in a demi john and the rest in 5 gal carboys. I think I will do a few 5 gal and see how it does.
Thanks

this is all great informative stuff..Thank you! I will try a small batch. I racked twice and added some meta.
i need to get the ph levels checked.average temperature in my basement is just under 60 degrees and that is where it has been since Oct when it was made.

You will definitely want to warm up the wine prior to innoculation. Check the directions for your strain of MLB, but probably need to be somewhere around 70 degrees.

to be honest , i dont know. I've been making wine for 30 plus years and have always made it old school (no yeast, sulfites, etc) the way my father and grandfather have taught me. And never checked and don't know how to or what you need to check the levels. This past year I added yeast and sulfites. So I am going in uncharted waters and relying on the expertise in these forums to gain more knowledge. Any suggestions are welcome.

Lavorgna,
Very cool! I am impressed with the fact that you are trying to use yeast and sulfites! I't took me a great deal of time to convince a good friend to change the way he made wine, but since then he has been very happy with the results.
If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to ask.

Tom

If you comfortable making wine without data that is okay.

There's plenty of good people on this site that can and want to help.

You can buy a very reasonable, effective Ph meter for in the neighborhood of $30-$40 on line or at your local wine supply store and I have method for taking TA that cost much less. Message me and I'll send you an email if you are interested.

Latest posts

Back