Low SG level?!?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

100LL

Reaction score
working with a VR Gewurztraminer kit....

checked on monday 5/16 and SG read 1.020, kit says to rack to carboy at the 1.010 mark.

i had to leave town till this afternoon, figured i would rack then. the SG reading was .992.

Did i wait too long to rack to carboy, and should i do something to fix the issue, or is it ok to just rack and continue with the directions?

thanks

ETA: the directions read that i should wait 10 days approx. with the secondary fermentation before starting the degassing and clearing process. they suggest getting stable readings of .996 or less. Since i am already below that do i continue with secondary fermentation or do i start the clearing process?

Last edited:
Yea rack now and then continue with the directions. Remember these directions are "close" Use your hydrometer to confirm everything. Rack and let it sit a few days and see if it droped. Then continue with fining

Yea rack now and then continue with the directions. Remember these directions are "close" Use your hydrometer to confirm everything. Rack and let it sit a few days and see if it droped. Then continue with fining

so you think i should let it ferment another week and a half per directions?
or that i should confirm a stable SG reading and just move on to the degassing and clearing?

yes confirm readings and continue. You are just ahead of schedule.

ahead of schedule is good. is this something that happens with kits?

i started on 5/11 so its only been a week :)

thanks for the help tom

Most wines are finished in a weel or less. It depends on Temp and how fresh the yeast is. Just don't rush to bottle. In fact let it sit as long ad you can let it. One more rack wont hurt either.

the temp. probably did it, it got to about 78 in the room where i ferment while i was out of town because we got some really warm weather.
ill prob check the SG over the next two days, and if it stays the same ill move on to the next steps.
i was planning on adding extra meta. and bulk aging for about a month before bottling.
you suggest racking before bottling or part way through the aging process?

yes. BUT, dont add "extra" meta use whats called for. If agind 3 months then add 1/4tsp

yes. BUT, dont add "extra" meta use whats called for. If agind 3 months then add 1/4tsp

the kit says to add the 1/4 tsp if you plan to age for a longer period of time. thanks for the heads up...knew there was a good reason to join the forum.

Latest posts

Back