Lots of Lees

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hector

Reaction score
Lots of Pulp

Hi there !

I'm making Plum wine for the first time from red plums which were frozen . That made it very easy to crush them , but there were still lots of pulp at the end of crushing .

I always use the 10% stock solution of K-Meta to add SO2 to my wine . This time it was difficult for me to measure the correct Volume of the Must due to the pulp . Nevertheless , I added 40 ppm of SO2 and it changed the color of the Must from dark red to orange .

It probably means that I added too much SO2 .

I'd like to see how you would make a correct SO2 addition by such a Must .

Hector

Last edited:
Here's how I do it: Buy cheap k meta powder. Use 1/4 tsp per FIVE or SIX gallons.

Your color may return. It sometimes does even after SO2 bleaching.

Did you use pectic enzyme with the plum? It is known for heavy lees, especially in suspension if the pectin is not enzymatically removed.

Ideally you use pectic enzyme at least 24 hours before initiating fermentation, but it will not hurt a thing to add it now to see if it will help. If 30 days from now you still see no progress at all with clearing, you may need to try Super Kleer or another heavy duty agent.

Even after that, it may be some time before it clears up.

Friends have reported luck reducing lees by mesh bagging whole plum fruits in primary and then just squeezing the bag very gently at the end of fermentation prior to transfer to the carboy for secondary. Maybe worth a try next time.

Here's how I do it: Buy cheap k meta powder. Use 1/4 tsp per FIVE or SIX gallons.

Did you use pectic enzyme with the plum? It is known for heavy lees, especially in suspension if the pectin is not enzymatically removed.

I always make myself the stock solution of K-Meta using K-Meta powder .

I added the pectic enzyme 12 hours after adding SO2 .

It's not fermenting because the yeast has not been added yet .

You probably misunderstood my question .

I wanted to see how home winemakers determine the correct addition of SO2 to a Must which

contains lots of pulp instead of juice .

Hector

Last edited:
With frozen fruit, does the same risk/concern exist for native yeast spontaneously starting fermentation? I mean, compared to fresh fruit, where that risk originates, doesn't the freezing of the fruit eliminate or greatly reduce that risk? Point being that, there is no need to 'shock' any native yeast prior to pitching the chosen yeast. Why not just start with the pectic enzyme immediately and introduce the yeast 12 hours or so later?

(I have only made grape wines, so I am really just theorizing, and have no actual experience to draw from.)

With frozen fruit, does the same risk/concern exist for native yeast spontaneously starting fermentation? Why not just start with the pectic enzyme immediately and introduce the yeast 12 hours or so later?

Freezing does NOT kill the native yeast . It only stops the multiplication Process .

Hector

If you have 5 gal of must and you usually add x amount to 5 gal. then you will still add the same. If you have 6 or 8 gal because of the fruit, you will add as much as you would normally use on 6 or 8 gal. You have the extra volume because of the pulp so that is counted in the addition of your k-meta. Course, this is only my opinion. Arne.

Latest posts

Back