Lost Treasure and a Pleasant Surprise

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
In preparation for this year's crush, we bottled a number of "odd jugs" (4 demijohns and 2 carboys) that were taking up space in my winery. One of which was a 2013 red that I simply labeled as "monte".

I gave it a taste and have to say that it was absolutely fantastic!! My brother (who also tasted it) immediately started asking me questions about it.

Once I checked my records (my memory sucks), it all came back to me..

I am a complete and total sucker for the upsell. When I go each fall to pick up my grape order, I can not resist the urge to purchase additional grapes of different, varietals.

I swear that they know my weakness at the grape suppliers. I can not say for sure, but I am certain that they take their time loading my order knowing full well that the longer I am there, the more I will purchase.

Then there is my brother. With sadistic and evil flair, he encourages me to always purchase more. He even puts his pinky up to his mouth and says "one billion liters" in his best Dr. Evil voice.

So there we were. I was standing in the supply house and right there next to me was a stack of 9 lugs of imported Multipulciano grapes (from Italy). The story got better when I was told that they were ordered by a customer that just cancelled. I ended up taking 6 lugs (split between me and my brother).

This demijohn of wine was by no means neglected, although it was forgotten for about a year. It was hidden, under a bench, with it's plastic cover hiding the wine's ID tag. The fermentation traps were refilled periodically without knowing exactly what was in the jug.

I simply assumed that 2013 wines were bottled out and had forgotten about it.

My share is 3 cases! WOOOOOO HOOOOO!!!!

The "Monte" is one of the great ones to benefit from prolonged aging. Wish I could squirrel a batch away for that long!!

Latest posts

Back