WineXpert Looking for a Cab Sauv suggestion

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 18523

Reaction score
Hi,
I made two batches last year (both WineExpert).
1) A Luna Blanca which I thought turned out exceptionally well, and
2) A Chilean Pinot which also turned out well, but was a little light.

I am looking to make a Cabernet Sauvignon this round and was wondering if anyone had any recommendations on brand or kit. I have been looking at the WineExpert Lodi Ranch 11 Cabernet Sauvignon from their Selection Estate brand. This selection costs about 50% more than others so I wasnt sure if it was worth it or not. I also do not have any experience with RJ Spagnols kits. I am not married to a brand, but I am looking for something true to the grape. Any recommendations from folks who have tried and tested?
thx
Rich

Rich, I made the Lodi Ranch last year as a gift and just tried a bottle (can't give them all away!) and after about 10 months in the bottle aging, I was very impressed. I can't wait until it hits about 18 months to try another. In fact, I am planning on buying another Lodi kit in the next few weeks to keep for myself.

I made the RJS En Primere, Delu Ranch Cab about 15-16 months ago. It is still not ready to drink, though. It is an ultra premium kit, which should make a thicker (mouth feel) wine than the WE kits because it has a very large grape pack that comes with it.

WE makes some very nice kits, but because of the grape pack in this kit, it will likely take longer for it to be ready to drink, compared to any WE kit that doesn't come with a grape pack.

So, if you are in more of a hurry for a pretty good cab kit, the WE you mentioned will work.

Robie, wait till sept. and get some cab. sauv. juice buckets from a supplier near you (?).

I get mine via Regina out of calif. Order immediately after labor day. My price in the past has been @ $45.00 for 6 gallons, sulfited and ph balanced. Excellent

I am literally drinking the wine expert Cab Sav right now, (cheap kit). It's ok, as my previous posters said, wait and get some California juice, or get a wine kit that includes grapes skins, either RJS or Cellar Craft.

Robie, wait till sept. and get some cab. sauv. juice buckets from a supplier near you (?).

I get mine via Regina out of calif. Order immediately after labor day. My price in the past has been @ $45.00 for 6 gallons, sulfited and ph balanced. Excellent

I hear you. I have plenty of wine from kits already. Most everything I intend to do in the future in reds will be from fresh or frozen grapes. I'll use fresh/frozen juice buckets for whites. I haven't tried Regina; I'll check them out on the internet. Thanks.

Back