Long term bill storage

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wineview

Still waiting.........
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a wine in a six gallon carboy for two years now and have been diligent about adding K-Meta every three months. If I leave this wine in the carboy for an additional two years without removing the airlock, do I still need to add K-Meta every three months.

You've asked an interesting question. Before I answer, I have a question of my own: What are you trying to accomplish?

Your answer: As long as you have the wine under airlock, oxygen has the ability to get to the wine. Although not much, it's enough to require adding K-Meta at systematic intervals to stave off the effects. But, back to my question...What are you trying to accomplish? If it's long term aging, there's not much benefit storing wine in a carboy vs. wine bottles. But, the former susbstancially increases the risk of loosing the wine - and, therefore, not worth keeping wine stored in a carboy for 2-4 years (or more).

Why not bottle and be done until you want to enjoy your work?

Last edited:
I agree with @crushday. I’ll bulk age in carboys for a year… maybe more if I get lazy/distracted/start another hair-brained project. That said, if it’s air-locked I’ll often stretch the sulfite interval to 6 months and have had no problems. Personally, I wouldn’t push it longer than that.

It’s a question of juggling the bottle supply. Also wanted some feedback on bulk aging. What I am hearing so far is don’t bulk age for more than two years correct?

It’s a question of juggling the bottle supply. Also wanted some feedback on bulk aging. What I am hearing so far is don’t bulk age for more than two years correct?
It depends on the container and what else you're doing to the wine.

If in a container that doesn't affect the wine (glass or stainless steel), IMO the main purpose of bulk aging is to ensure the wine is clear and give it initial time to age as a single until, which (also IMO) is 9 to 12 months. I'll add the caveat that bulk aging helps ensure the wine will age, as no one is drinking it.

Another caveat is if the wine is being modified by adding oak adjuncts, adjusting acid, etc., keeping the wine in bulk for a few months after a change lets it adjust to the change(s) as a unit before bottling.

If the container is one that affects the wine (e.g., barrel), then extended bulk aging changes the wine, and it makes sense to keep it in the container as long as desired.

I must agree with @crushday, that wine is safer in the bottle. I tend to bottle wine as soon as it makes sense to do so, which can be 4 to 9 months for carboys and often 12+ months for barrels (I bottle last year's barrel when new wine is ready to replace it).

But as @ChuckD said, other things affect wine care and bottling. I've delayed bottling because I didn't have enough bottles, and because I didn't have free time. I've also bottled earlier than planned because I knew I wasn't going to have time later. And because I knew I was going to need those carboys and needed to clear space. Nope -- there is no unambiguous answer.

Last edited:
I agree with @crushday. I’ll bulk age in carboys for a year… maybe more if I get lazy/distracted/start another hair-brained project. That said, if it’s air-locked I’ll often stretch the sulfite interval to 6 months and have had no problems. Personally, I wouldn’t push it longer than that.
I have come to a similar conclusion. I have kept wine in bulk aging for 1 year+ without opening it and without adding Kmeta. But now I think that it is better to open it and add Kmeta every 6 months.

Why not bottle and be done until you want to enjoy your work?
Some wines will change considerably during bulk aging for 6 months to 2 years. For example, elderberry and wines made with chocolate need at least 18 months aging to be good. I want to be able to taste the mature wine before I decide how much backsweeting I need, and whether I want to add any other pre-bottling modifications. Once it is in the bottle, it is done and you can't change it.

The optimal amount of time for bulk aging depends on the specific type of wine.

Could you not just cap the carboy and bottle eventually?. Fermentation has stopped. Why keep adding K meta?.

Could you not just cap the carboy and bottle eventually?. Fermentation has stopped. Why keep adding K meta?.
Free SO2 gets used up as it binds to contaminants, including oxidation caused by light, and must be refreshed.

The rule of thumb is to add K-meta every 3 months, although if the container is sealed, folks have successfully stretched this as long as 6 months.

I actually use an auto siphon. Love it, so much easier than manual.

The problem is, I always rack the entire carboy to a sanitized carboy. Then use a thief to get a half glass, maybe 3/4 glass, who am I kidding, a whole glass! 2 wines and one port, lets say it’s a lot.

That’s a lot of tasting
When topping barrels, we always pull a barrel sample and also test the topup wine prior to adding it to the barrel. There may be a couple of other wines that need checking for whatever reason.

Of course, if there are leftovers, like less than half a bottle, that won't go to waste.

Then I make a pot of coffee and we hang out for a few hours ...

I have wine in carboys since last September. I am using airlock with brandy in them. As I understand it, the airlock does not allow oxygen flow. Hence I don't see a problem in leaving it until next September

I have wine in carboys since last September. I am using airlock with brandy in them. As I understand it, the airlock does not allow oxygen flow. Hence I don't see a problem in leaving it until next September
I have also wondered if it is really necessary to add more Kmeta if the carboy is not being opened. I can think of two possible reasons we might need to add more:
  1. If there is a small leak, and oxygen is getting in.
  2. If the Kmeta (free SO2) is gradually being "used up" (bound with O2) already in the wine. In that case, when the Kmeta is used up, there might be a need for additional Kmeta
It seems that if the Kmeta binds all the oxygen in the wine, and no more leaks in, we wouldn't need any additional Kmeta. But since I can't be 100% sure that neither reason above applies, I am leaning toward adding Kmeta every 6 months as a precaution.

Back