Line of tiny white bubbles in my Shiraz

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ryankelley

Reaction score
Take a look at the picture. I've been making wine for a few years and have never seen this before. I googled it and found nothing. I did inoculate with ML bacteria two days ago...I've never used ML fermentation before. Any thoughts about if I have a problem?

I'm working on a Pinot Noir that won't stop bubbling. The hydrometer indicates all the sugar was gone 1.5 weeks ago 0.0096...yet the bubbles are rolling out of the wine like it's still busy fermenting. Is this normal?

Thanks for your help.

IMG_20131029_113001_015.jpg

Well I'm not positive exactly but possibly a malolactic bacteria or non malolactic bacteria both can occur in a bone dry wine. Have you thought about putting the wine through a .45 micron filtration?

ryankelley said:
Take a look at the picture. I've been making wine for a few years and have never seen this before. I googled it and found nothing. I did inoculate with ML bacteria two days ago...I've never used ML fermentation before. Any thoughts about if I have a problem? I'm working on a Pinot Noir that won't stop bubbling. The hydrometer indicates all the sugar was gone 1.5 weeks ago 0.0096...yet the bubbles are rolling out of the wine like it's still busy fermenting. Is this normal? Thanks for your help.

ML fermentation will give you bubbles. But it would be unusual to see the kind of activity you have.

At this point, you don't have options other than let it finish up. If you sulfite it now, you'll stop ML fermentation.

Color

The bubbles are a different color, so I don't know what's causing this. I'll top it up...with the CO2 slowing down, this is important to do.

it looks like bee hive cell structure typical of co2 build up..
my guess is this is co2 migration.
just saying.

Latest posts

Back