LHBS's in Calgary

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ShepherdQ

Pusser Newbie
Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm moving from Victoria to Calgary (for work, otherwise I'd never leave...you don't have to shovel rain!) and wondered 1) how many members are in the Calgary area, and 2) does anyone have strong feelings about the LHBS's in the area? We're looking to live in the SW, Winemakers Wine Co. seems to be the biggest store in that area.

Thoughts?

I haven't lived in Calgary, and my brother lives in the North, so I don't know any stores handy for you. However, there is a great Vineco/Cellar Craft store called The Wine Warehouse. They have regular specials so get on their mailing list.

http://thewinewarehouse.ca/

Steve

Hi Rob,

I am in Calgary and am in the midst of chokecherry and raspberry harvest right now. As Steve mentioned The Wine Warehouse is a great choice, they are my staple for kit wines and equipment but I am in the north as well. Their selection is a bit limited if you are looking to make a wine from scratch and want to play with different yeasts etc. There are a few Home Vintner stores in town that carry the Wine Expert line. One of the smaller shops that I have had good luck with is Grapes to Glass. Anyway, welcome to the city and prepare yourself for the winter driving spectacle.

Travis

Hi Rob
I'm just outside Calgary, but I refuse to purchase anything at the Calgary Stores..the markups are pretty massive.
I spend a little money on gas and drive 1.5 hrs north to Red Deer to shop at Valentine.
Last week I bought 11 kits there and saved over $450 compared to Calgary prices. Worth the drive, I'd say! Basically, for the price of 2 kits in Calgary, you can buy 3 in Red Deer.

If you need local support, however, the best shop is a little place on 14th St N just north of JohnLaurie Blvd...it's called the Home Vintner.
They offer good advice and hold classes in home brewing/winemaking. They also sent some of their homemade wines in to the National Contest this week...the entire province is allowed to send 30 bottles, and these guys are so good that they alone qualified to send 23 bottles! They regularly win national medals (you can see them on their wall in the shop)

Good luck on your move
Ed

Excellent info and advice, thanks all. I had heard of the Home Vintner, I'll have to check them out. I'm looking to start RJS Super Tuscan, so I'll call around and look for that, or order it online I guess. (Will search the fora now for best online sites, just in case)

Thanks again,

Latest posts

Back