Let me be specific about the smell

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pizzaerick

Reaction score
Seen lots of questions and answers about bad smells, let me be specific on this one...

I started a Strawberry 3 gal and a raspberry 1 gal about 12 hours apart. Both were a starting SG of about 1.085. The raspberry yeast was added 12 hours after the strawberry but didn't start to "take" until I stirred it up (or my lid on the primary was loose, take your pick) once it started, it went fast. In just 2.5 days it has reached an SG of 1.010. A bit fast I think, but that's not my concern. For comparison the Strawberry sitting next to it is at just under 1.030.

It smells nasty. I'm talking down right rotten, like a garbage can in summertime. It's not a yeasty smell either, When I say rotten, that is what it smells like.

The strawberry is not what I would call a pleasant smell, but it IS a clean smell, kinda like soda water without sugar smell. Just so you know I am not mistaking the smell of the yeast working. I've spent 20 years working with yeast every day, but this is only my 5th batch of wine.

A couple of possible factors... I used frozen raspberries, and I thawed them for 5 hours before adding the other ingredients. I did wait 24 hours before adding the yeast. The ph was just a -little- high according to the papers. Don't ask me for the number as I don't have my notes handy.

Thoughts? comments? Is this going to poison me? Will I want to die after I taste it anyway? :)

Let me add one more observation....

The strawberry is foaming a lot like an open soda pop. (It's pretty cool!)

The raspberry looks mostly like blood with clumps of crud here and there floating on top...

The worst smelling wine I ever made was a combination of strawberries and raspberries. It was like you describe- discusting. At one point it smelled like the old ammonia type hair permanents-rally bad. It was sort of like a lava lamp for weeks with the raspberry crud floating to the top and dropping back down. I didn't taste it often, but bottles when clear. After 2 years, it is slightly drinkable- not my favorite. I hope you have batter luck with these.

My strawberry kiwi was probably the worst wine I ever made but I really
dont recall if it smelled bad plus it was like my 3rd wine and really
didnt know what it should smell like. Dont think I used enough fruit
either.As for the quick fermentation, the smaller batches really go
faster all the time. My first 1 gallon batch of wine went from 1.085 to
.999 in 3 days, I just went to check to see how good it was bubbling
and was curious when it wasnt bubbling so I threw in the hydrometer and
smiley3.gif
!!!!!!!!!

Not too encouraging...

I really don't want to put effort into a batch that is ruined on day 3...

Well, we'll toss it into a carboy and see what a few weeks does for it...

Any other comments?

Definetly never throw it out as Ive had 2 other batches that started
off not tasting good at all and gave me a problem clearing and are my
favorites to this day. My Pear from cans with heavy syrup and my spiced
apple. Both were the nastiest tasting wines at bottling and after 8
months in the bottle are just awesome. To bad I only have 1 or 2 of
each of these left.

I agree with wade pizza, I made a Strawberry that went from a spectrum of lighter fluid with a dose of kerosene to a truly awesome wine after 8 months in the bottle.

Thanks.

A few hours made a big difference. I went to rack it into the carboy and the garbage smell had subsided considerably. I have some theories, but no facts. It's now bubbling away like a diet Coke just before the mentos!

I laughed (an understanding laugh believe me) at all the other posts of people worried about the smell. I just felt like I was different.

Here I am on my fourth batch of fruit wine when I have never tasted a fruit wine before. I am operating on faith.

No matter what, I have had tons of fun!

O.K. a couple weeks have passed. Here's the deal...

The stench in my raspberry is back. Right now it is like the essence of rotten eggs. This just doesn't seem right. The color is still a deep deep bright red.

My other wines seem to be coming along nicely. The rhubarb is getting a *little* more clear, the strawberry is interesting, the 3 gal and the 1 gal are different colors (same batch). The banana and riesling are bottled, and the merlot is still bubbling.

Just this dang raspberry!

Added a picture here... The front is the raspberry, in back, that is the strawberry, yes, from the same batch. After racking the 3 gal started clearing, and yes, I mixed 'em up during racking.
20070804_204039_Image022.jpg
Edited by: pizzaerick

Rotten eggs is H2S, or Hydrogen Sulphide. It is a nasty smell. 2 ways to get rid of it. Splash rack to blow off the smell, or stir the wine with a copper rod. I'd splash rack first, wait 2 days and if it still there and strong, then get a copper rod, and polish it up so there is no oxidation whatsoever on it, and then stir the wine for about 30-40 seconds with it. Wait 2 days and stir again, if the smell is still there. If the wine is still fermenting, then, you might want to add a bit of yeast engergizer, since that smell is usually caused by stressed out yeast.

Cool! I work so hard to "leave it alone" that I like a suggestion that gives me permission to be a little rough with the wine. Make me feel like I'm doing something!

I love the part of this hobby where it can usually wait until I have time to do something, but I hate the part where there is not always something for me to do!

Latest posts

Back