learning question

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
but yet, although most of the research done with sorbate in grape wines, not a lot on fruit wines...another topic that has had very little research is does sorbate effect wine that is not cleared...does it take longer, is it harder to clear, etc....just thinking..not making a point.

James---you can't have a ton of yeast cells and expect sorbate to work to prevent refermentation when sugar is added. I read one time that as many yeast cells as possible need to be racked off the wine. And I also read that wines need to be stabilized before using it. Stability comes from bulk aging and removing all the unstable components,such as precipitates,haze, sediments,and volatile esters. Aging also stabilizes tannins,pigments, and color. Bitter and astringent compounds may also drop out during this time. So being in a hurry to bottle and drink is not the best. You are missing out on how great your wines may be by consuming them so young.

Here is a link I found to a very approachable white paper on sorbate use.

http://enology.umn.edu/2011/02/23/potassium-sorbate-as-a-wine-preservative/

Important points I got from it, if you don't care to click and read.
1) Commercial wineries seldom use it. They sterile filter, which remove all dead yeast cells.
2) I think we all knew this one, don't need to add to dry wines.
3) should be used when levels of yeast are smallest, (not like wine kits have you add).
4) always breaks down over enough time.
5) amount used depends on pH. (I have to say this one surprised me)
Well the link does not work for me, says (page not found)

I always siphon off a cup of wine into a wine glass when racking for stabilizing. I smell, examine, make notes; then add the kmeta and sorbate to the wine glass together. Stir for a while until dissolved, then add when degassing. I kinda came up with doing it this way after a few of my kits said to mix them together.

I normally add them to my carboy before I rack into it. Never had any problem with them not dissolving by the time the racking is done. Since I use campden tablets I just make sure they are well ground before adding. If you are using k-meta in powder form, again should be no issue for mixing.
Of course I try to do this about a week before bottling or back-sweetening. If I back-sweeten then I wait another week before bottling. Again as with most steps, preparation and patience is key.

I normally add them to my carboy before I rack into it. Never had any problem with them not dissolving by the time the racking is done. Since I use campden tablets I just make sure they are well ground before adding. If you are using k-meta in powder form, again should be no issue for mixing.
Of course I try to do this about a week before bottling or back-sweetening. If I back-sweeten then I wait another week before bottling. Again as with most steps, preparation and patience is key.

This what I do when adding to my batches. You can add SO2 at any time except pre-fermentation or during fermentation. I almost always ferment to dry, then back sweeten just before bottling. I add sorbate when I sweeten. Always dilute powders in some liquid before adding to wine.

This what I do when adding to my batches. You can add SO2 at any time except pre-fermentation or during fermentation.

You can add sulfites pre-fermentation and it is done all the time to kill off wild yeast. I agree there is no reason to add during fermentation.

Never had any problems adding them together in my experiences. Dissolve in small amount of wine at room temperature,wait about 20 minutes, stir again and then add to carboy.

Back