WineXpert LE Super Tuscan

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

davek

Reaction score
So I decided it was time to start the Super Tuscan today...

I did a little reading up, and it seems this kit starts a little low on the sugars. Mine was not too bad compared to some of the others I saw.... my juice registered 1086 without the skins in yet.

So this is my question.... I got the wine all set at 10 am today... skins in, temp good, everything set. But I thought I would let it sit to let the sugars leech from the skins. I am stirring every hour (and I may squeeze if I am feeling adventurous!).

I will probably test at 6-8 tonight, and maybe tomorrow morning if it is not as high as I want yet. Does this sound good? And what do you think I should aim for? 1098 or above? 1100?

Also, I tried a little trick that worked well for me, and I wanted to pass it on. I soaked the wine skin packet in hot hot water for 30 minutes before I needed it. The skins slid out like butter! No mess, real easy!

Thanks!

Dave

Last edited:
I will probably test at 6-8 tonight, and maybe tomorrow morning if it is not as high as I want yet. Does this sound good? And what do you think I should aim for? 1098 or above? 1100?

Also, I tried a little trick that worked well for me, and I wanted to pass it on. I soaked the wine skin packet in hot hot water for 30 minutes before I needed it. The skins slid out like butter! No mess, real easy!

This sounds like a fine plan. Mine went up to 1.096 (from 1.078), so I suspect you will be in good shape. Mine finished at an estimated 13.7 ABV, which seems like a fine level to me.

Thanks for the tip about preheating the grape pack. I have really struggled with getting the goodies out of the WE packs (compared to CC). Your tip should help!

Let the skins sit for a day or two before pitching yeast. Thanks for the tip on skins.

I let it sit for a day, and it got up to 1.098.

Pitched the yeast and set it down stairs.... checked the next morning and it was down to 68 degrees! Panic! Wrapped in towels, and by afternoon it was up to 70. It is bubbling, but not too vigorously... but that heady smell is there!

So I am thinking this will be a slow one.... maybe 10 days on the first. I will check the levels as it goes along... I move to secondary at .98 right?

Also, I have been reading here, and a lot of people add the tannins in early. SHould I do that on this one? This is only my third batch... I noticed there are two tannins people use.... one goes in early, and one just before bottling. So which one (and what is the difference, if you want to be wordy!)

Thanks!

Dave

So I am thinking this will be a slow one.... maybe 10 days on the first. I will check the levels as it goes along... I move to secondary at .98 right?

Two things: You should move to secondary after the SG gets below 1.010 (as per your instructions.) I usually transfer at 1.005 or so.

Second: you are probably confusing the SG readings. You will likely never ever get a wine to a SG of 0.980. You probably meant 0.998.

As for tannins, there are fermentation tannins, cellaring tannins, and finishing tannins. Scott Labs provides a pretty good description here: http://www.scottlab.com/products-29.aspx

If you have some cheap generic tannins (LD Carlson or the like), I would treat that as a fermentation tannin, and put it in primary.

Paul:

Yes, you are right on the numbers- SG always screws me up! i guess I need to do this a few more times.

Thanks for the link, I will read up!

Dave

Leave skins in primary for additional 5 to 7 days. SG will be around .996 than remove and rack to secondary. Leaving skins in will add flavor and complexity to your wine. If not at .996 it will get there in secondary.

Latest posts

Back