WineXpert LE German Gewurtztraminer

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joseph1

Reaction score
The soon to be available Winexpert Limited Edition Gewurtztraminer contains elderflowers. Generally, elderflowers are addedjust before the yeast is pitched and this is not addressed in the instructions. The following is from Tim Vandegrift, Technical Services Manager for Winexpert:<?:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" />

“Due to an error in our editing process, the Limited Edition instructions failed to mention the use of elderflowers in our German Gewurtztraminer kits. I apologise for the confusion--too many writers and checkers seems to reduce accuracy sometimes.

The good news is, they can be added even after the start of fermentation, and they will impart thier character very quickly into the wine. Elderflowers are used in thiis kit to add the specific character that marks the grapes from this growing area. Without the use of elderflower it's difficult to capture the delicate floral aromatics that make the wine so beguilingly fragrant after about six months in the bottle.

As for not adding them . . . well, I'm not going to scold anybody, so if you want to cheat yourself out of the intense aromatic character of the finished wine, it's your call. I'm very happy with this wine, and I'm making myself four batches, because I know it's going to be just like the German Mosel Riesling we made previously--gulpingly good.”

I will have to decide if I use the elderflowers or not since I made the Selection LE AGRIGENTO SICILIAN GRILLO last year which had elderflowers in it and don't care for the strong taste at all.
smiley11.gif

Doesn't stop me from drinking it!

I made the Gerwitz about a year ago. After a few months, I thought the elderflowers were a bit strong, but after almost a year, it has mellowed considerably and is quite good. I would recommend using them and letting it age.

I am with Peter on this one. I just love the Grillo and am looking forward to the Gewurt. I wish I had made several batches of the Grillo.

We were just going to *assume* that the elderflowers would go in at the same time you normally stir in the oak, but now no assumption is necessary. Thanks for posting this, saved much worry!

Back