larger primary fermenter

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

barryjo

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am going to be starting some larger batches soon. I just bought a 6.5 gallon primary. I have seen 10 and 13 gallon trashbuckets or waste containers at Walmart. Are these suitable for the purpose? They don't have tight lids so they would really only be used for primary. Is the plastic in these OK for wine?
Thanks in advance.

They need to be food grade.Those mentioned are most certainly not. Get thee to a LHBS and either pick up a 7.9 or 10 gallon primary. They are not much more expensive and they are ready to go.

Not likely. They should be food grade plastic, else they probably will give off a plastic, chemically smell, which could be retained in your wine. Also, sanitation is an issue; food grade cleans up better and is less porous.

I have a 10-gallon fermentor that also looks like a big white trash can. It also has a lid that doesn't really seal completely. The difference is that I got it from George and it is food grade and made for this purpose.

Food grade plastic will have a small symbol on it that says HDPE, next to a triangle with a 2 in the middle of it. There is a grade even highier, but you likely would have to buy a Better Bottle to get it. Note that large water bottles typically are not food grade, I don't believe.

I use a 10 gallon Brute container made by Rubbermaid. It is food grade and has handles on each side. I love mine and use it for all primary fermentations.

Barry Jo,
George has a 10-gallon fermenter right here: http://www.finevinewines.com/ProdDetA.asp?PartNumber=5120

I have been very pleased with my 10-gallon 'mini-garbage-can-looking' fermenter and it's just like SmokeGrub describes with a handle on each side. If you have any kind of grape pack or skins or a foamy fermentation, the 10-gallon fermenter really works on a 6-gallon batches and isn't too unwieldy to clean or lift. I actually prefer it for lifting because of the handle positions. (pictures of the 10-gallon in action from above)

For the fresh grape batches, I use a 20-gallon fermenter of the same design for each 100 pounds of grapes. The amount of space that the skin/cap takes up on top of the fermenting juice necessitates this for the 7 or so gallons of wine that will come out of it.

- Jim

A 7.9 gallon fermenter should work fine for doing 6 gallon batches.
If you want larger go with the ten gallon that everyone keeps talking about.
If you have more questions call George.

Appleman,
When using the larger fermentors, which don't completely seal as the 7.9 gallon buckets will, do you ever use them to ferment to completely dry?

I just bought a 10 gallon and was wondering if you can use them all the way to dry, if you don't open the lid everyday. Or, should ferment to dry be restricted to the fully sealable buckets.

Once I get to a bit above dry, I transfer to a sealed secondary. They are going to go in there anyways, so why risk it going to completely dry before transfer- it's only a few days difference.

That confirms what I thought. It does make a lots of sense.

Thanks, Appleman.

Have you used a variable volume say 100L size? I am going to get one soon and plan to do 10-15 gals in that. It's more thatn the rubermaid route but I like the stainless steel.

RJMehr said:
I have found the ideal fermenter if you are looking for a 9-10 gallon size. They are made in Holland, food grade plastic and have a lid that is really seals completely. I just drill a 1/2 inch hole in the top of the lid, install a rubber grommet and insert my air lock. Works great.

They can be purchased on eBay. http://cgi.ebay.com/Beer-Fermenter-Cooler-Plastic-Drum-Barrel-Keg-9-gallon_W0QQitemZ350326094051QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item51910ff8e3

RJ does it have any kind of handle on it?

Latest posts

Back