large batch whites not clarifying good

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sully55

Reaction score
iv'e made many six gallon kits over the years, reds, whites and even fruit wines and have always had great success producing perfectly clear product in the bottle. i usually use the enclosed clarifier in the kit or superklear. now i'm making all juice 30 gallons at a time in two large carboys. i've been adding 30 tbsp kieselsol followed by 15 tbsp of chitosan divided between the two carboys.after a couple weeks they seem clear. once in the bottle after a couple weeks or months i notice minor white residue in the whites. could you advise on the amounts needed or maybe another tact to clarify larger batches.

Besides more patience?

Maybe some bentonite, added either on 3rd day of ferment or post-fermentation.

Make sure they're thoroughly degassed; the bottling process can dislodge enough CO2 that you'll find sediment in the bottles that you didn't see before

Would need more information to really know though

appears to already have bentonite and this last bottling was over a month past the clarifiers. i try to degas the best i can but there may be more. if i add more bentonite post ferment, how much?

What method do you use to degas?
How long did it bulk age prior to bottling?

If you added bentonite during primary, it probably did it's job.

I'm guessing it's from CO2 release during bottling, it's happened to me a few times.

You may not want to use bentonite again, especially if you used a good dose of it the first time. It seems to me that the bentonite did its job, since you said the wine was clear before bottling. But the truth is, if wine doesn't spend sufficient time in bulk aging to allow sediment to fall out, you can get cloudiness in the bottle or some level of sediments in the bottle. More patience during bulk aging will eliminate this problem.

You could try filtering. Get a cheap water filter and a 5 micron, 2 micron and sterile filter. Progressively filter through each

Back