Lanza Cabernet Grapes

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jsbeckton

Reaction score
Looking to make a Cab this fall and trying to decide between the 3 options that are available:
  • Lanza Cab Sav
  • Lanza Cab Sav Clone 15
  • Lanza Cab Sav 169
These range from $85-$97 a lug and I think that they will also carry a “Lodi Cab” that is about $68 per lug which I did last year. I’m curious if the Lanza will produce a better wine (I know that a lot of that depends on me).

Anybody have experience with these Lanza grapes?

Thanks in advance!

Looking to make a Cab this fall and trying to decide between the 3 options that are available:
  • Lanza Cab Sav
  • Lanza Cab Sav Clone 15
  • Lanza Cab Sav 169
These range from $85-$97 a lug and I think that they will also carry a “Lodi Cab” that is about $68 per lug which I did last year. I’m curious if the Lanza will produce a better wine (I know that a lot of that depends on me).

Anybody have experience with these Lanza grapes?

Thanks in advance!
I’ve made wine with all of the above. My opinion is that the clone 169 grapes made the best wine, at least the year that I used them. The pricing is pretty hefty at Lanza. I’ve been using Colavita and Sons for grapes the last few years, paying a max of $36 per lug, including shipping to Louisiana, FWIW.

Interesting that you didn’t like it enough to continue keep paying the premium. I figure I owe it to myself to try it at least once to see how it compares to the more moderately priced fruit.

Johnd, I am curious if you find a significant difference in the finished wine? I used non-lanza a couple years ago for a blend that I feel turned out rather week. I blamed it on the grapes but I think part of the problem was me and what I chose to make. Now I look at the Lanza Prices and think the prices are high but I know the grapes are good. That being said I may just give the lower priced a try again. I only get one chance a year to do this so I want the best product I can get.

Johnd, I am curious if you find a significant difference in the finished wine? I used non-lanza a couple years ago for a blend that I feel turned out rather week. I blamed it on the grapes but I think part of the problem was me and what I chose to make. Now I look at the Lanza Prices and think the prices are high but I know the grapes are good. That being said I may just give the lower priced a try again. I only get one chance a year to do this so I want the best product I can get.
Honestly, it's really hard to compare the two products. The Lanza is older than the Lodi. The Lanza was aged in used 6 and 12 gallon Vadai barrels for up to 6 months. The Lodi was aged in new premium french bordeaux barrels (St. Martin and Alain Fouquet) for two years. I find all of the wine to be pretty darn good. That said, I suspect that had the Lanza grapes gotten the same level of winemaking experience from me that the Lodi did, and had the same barrel aging opportunity, it'd be a better wine. Pure speculation on my part, but there it is.

I will take that as you’re happy with the Lodi grapes considering the price

Well I had to satisfy my curiosity so I pulled the trigger on the Lanza Clone 169. It should be interesting to compare to last years Lodi over the next few years.

Back