Other lack fruits characteristics from kit wine?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jefferyylt

Reaction score
Hello all the wine lovers, this is my first post , i believe there gonna be more coming lol

back to the topic, I've read some articles that saying kits wine taste lack fruits characteristics that specific variety supposed have on their own, for example: you are tasting a basic pinot noir that should smell ; fresh or jammy strawberry,raspberry, cherry etc but not in the case of kits wine...

therefore without telling the varieties before you taste the wine otherwise you have no idea what you are tasting with a kit wine .. is that correct ? or
kits wine can even taste better than some commercial wine?

:snw

Easy answer...it depends.

Waaaaaaay too many variables to give a straight yes or no.

First off, welcome.

Second, I think you are wayyyyyy over analyzing this. As a good rule to go by, all kits will have the basic "taste" of the grape variety. However, the higher end kits (the ones with more actual juice) will taste better/closer to what society has told us variety "x,y,z" should taste like.

1) You get what you pay for, particularly for red wines. You don't have to necessarily buy the most expensive kit wines, but depending on your tastes and what you're going for, cheap kits could leave you disappointed. The more juice/concentrate you can get (and with grape skins for reds), the better your wine's potential will be.

2) Just because the instructions say it can be bottled does not mean it is fully developed or ready to drink. Wines can really change over the course of months and years, but people do not always wait that long to pass judgement. Some of the more subtle varietal characteristics can take a long while to show up.

3) Kit wines can be just as good or better than commercial wines. See #1. On the flip side, not all commercial wines are automatically of a certain quality level. Good technique and experience can take this even further.

Welcome aboard!

My wife has said of the $75.00 RJ Spagnols Pinot Gridio kit that I've now made twice that it equates to a store bought bottle costing $10.00 (or words to that effect). I've got two grape skin kits (Spagnols Wash. Merlot & Super Tuscan) aging right now and am expecting great things from both - based on reviews here on this board.

thank you all for the lovely comments !

because i'm thinking to use kit wines as a table wine for bistro,bar , etc.. back in asia. :spm
just don't know the level of kit wines can reach to compare with commercial wines. (i do believe if you got a great skills ,knowledge of wine making , high-end kit wines have potential to beat the commercial wines though..)

I've already made some WE Island Mist already,which pretty impress as beverages ! right now i just wanna try some different level kits with and with out grape skin, and tweak a bit by adding raisin, tannic powder or blending varieties,(i think this is the funnest part of wine making from kits!)and see how they turn out after 6 months ~ 1 year of bottle ageing to avoid kit taste..
:br

Latest posts

Back