Mosti Mondiale LaBodega Port Kit

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Longtrain

Reaction score
Received my LaBodega Port kit today, got it started fine, interesting that the kit had in addition to all the normal components, it has two (2) Port flavoring bags and contrary to many post regarding this kit, the famed yeast nutrient. I have kinda combined George's and bzac's recommendations along with Mosti's instructions. I added 6 very ripe bananas to the chopped up grape raisins to a strainer bag prior to pitching the yeast. Temp at 76 F, yeast was started before pitching. It's been about 3 hours and it's beginning to perk a bit.

BTW, I don't need that second F-Pack or do I? Thanks for help and insight.

I have made that kit. Best Port (kit) wine hands down.....

It should only have one flavour reserve pack per kit. Double check it and call MM but I would say there was a mistake on the assembly line.

Thanks, I figured that it was a mistake. Maybe I'll find some use for it... Since this kit has had some issues as to the interpretation of Mosti's instructions, I'll pass along my results as they progress.

Do not rack this kit at 1.040 if their instructions still call for that. I dont recall having more then 1 pac either.

Thanks, I agree, my very first kit was a Mosti that asked to be splash transferred at 1.040 and nutrient to be added, resulted in a nice volcano and mess. Figure I would wait to 1.010 as I usually do. Any other tips? BTW, yes, the instructions still call for that at 1.040.

Yeah, let this age a long time and you will be rewarded greatly!!!!! Are you going to fortify this, if so IBGlowin took this or some of this to the highest level IMO and used E&J VSOP I think and also barrel aged it. Damn Id like to try a bottle of that!!!!!

Yes, surely this will be fortified, E&J would be fine and has many recommendations here. I don't have a barrel, but will be adding oak. I like oak, but don't want it to taste like plywood.

What type of oak is best for port, American, French or Hungarian and what toast? Cubes, chips or spirals? I know oak is subjective, but, what ballpark time frame should it sit on it?

How long should it age before drinking and how long can it mature?

Bottling in 750's are #9's best for long term aging and can 375's use a #9 or are they limited to #8's?

Lot's of questions, thanks for your time and insight on this project.

This wine laughs at oak. You can't over oak a port IMHO. Just use the supplied Oak, there is a good amount. I also added a hefty dose of Tancor Grand Cru (another great call) I used all 375 splits and that was a good call as otherwise it will just disappear twice as fast. This wine was so good I almost didn't fortify it or add the f-pack. Just amazing. I also used #9 1.75" without a problem. I have a Port floor corker. This wine needs at least a year to mature, 18mo is MUCH better, 2 years is KILLER. I made a double batch since it only makes 3 gallons then after I fortified and added the f-packs I ended up with 8 gallons of finished port. Sooooooooo worth it.

Wade, I would send you one but I thought you didn't drink "wine" anymore! :)

Can you tell me more about the "Tancor Grand Cru", how much should I add to a 3 gallon carboy and would this tannin work well with other standard reds, i.e. Cab's or Zin's etc.? Thanks...

Works well with any red kit wine. This gives the wine a longer finish, more like a commercial bottle. Dose depends on wine variety and personal preference of course. A Pinot noir might only need 0.8gm per gallon while a big Cabernet might handle more like 1.2gm per gallon. This will make the wine age longer but may also make it take longer time to be ready to drink. You can also do bench trials beforehand to see what level you prefer.

I made this kit and added 1 med toast French oak spiral during secondary. Also fortified with VSOP. Ended up with a noticeable vanilla tone. It's is a very nice kit.

Ok, SG at 1.010, squeezed strainer bag well, racked to carboy, added oak and YN, bubbling away. I have about 1 qt of wine left over in a 1/2 gallon jug with airlock, bubbling too. I'll use this to top off in a day, want to be sure that the carboy doesn't foam over initially.

Interesting note, Mosti's instructions don't even mention adding the flavor bag to the wine, don't they proof read them before production. No issue with their product, but come on, with the money we spend on these kits you would think that they would get the instructions right. BTW, thanks George for having your set of instructions on line, much appreciated.

Looks like its in VERY small print under Phase 3

Phase 3

After 7-10 days, (Day 16-24) your wine should be clear. If your wine is not completely clear, leave it alone for a few extra days. Do not bottle cloudy wine. If your wine is clear, proceed by following these steps;
1. Rack the wine in a clean and sanitized carboy, leaving behind the clarification sediment found at the bottom.
2. In order to avoid refermentation in the bottle, add the pouch marked Potassium Sorbate to a 50 ml/ 1.69 fl. oz measuring
cup filled with cold water and stir until completely dissolved.
Once dissolved, add its entire contents slowly to your wine and
mix well. It is important that you use only clean and sanitized bottles for your wine.
Does your wine kit contain a Wine Conditioner and/or Kristalblok® bottle?
If your wine kit came with a Wine Conditioner and/or Kristalblok® bottle, empty the contents of them to your wine and stir well for 2-3 minutes.

Did you purchase a La Bodega wine kit?

After a 24 hour degassing period add the bag of Port Essence (smaller
metallic bag) to your carboy and stir.

Note: We strongly recommend filtering your wine as it will allow your wine to obtain a bright finish along with being fully degassed. We recommend to wait 24h before filtration.

Whats the date on that kit. Man those instructions look really old school compared to current ones on the web.

Is the sticker the date code? 20320. I guess that's March 20, 2012, should be ok. Spoke to George today on another order, he said that he knew some instructions were missing some stuff.

Last edited:
I bought my first kit and equipment from FVW, never had an issue and currently buying from them now. He's a gentleman and always willing to help.

Latest posts

Back