KMS early

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Spikedlemon

Reaction score
I knew it was a matter of time before I did a step out of order - especially in my rush to get a few things racked before company came over on the weekend.

I added KMS right after racking to secondary on my mead.

I bet the batch with EC1118 won't care too much but the bread-yeast (small batch) is probably livid with me. So I'm guessing that, unless I plan to have some extended aging in the carboy, that i'll be OK (but I might have exterminated the bread yeast - leaving it a little sweet).

What's your current SG?

Note: It is very hard to stop an active fermentation with k-meta. I'm guessing that you may have slowed things down.

The EC1118's SG is 1.010.
The bread-yeast was being ignored so was never measured.

Wait a few days, and if the SG continues to drop, then you are golden. Other wise, after a few days, you can pitch more yeast (restart a stuck fermentation), and let it finish.

If you don't let it finish now, then you risk having it finish over time. Not the worst thing if you bulk age for a year. If you plan on bottling soon, then you risk making champagne.

It took a day but... the bread yeast mead is dead. I doubt it'll be returning to life. I'll rack it off and let it sit to clear. The balloon airlock tells the whole story there.

The EC1118, I think, is a survivor.
If I don't make it down below 1.000: I'll be sure to sorbate the EC1118 batch. It's likely the safest approach.

I'll be letting both age for another month to see if anything perks up again.

Thanks.

You could take some of the EC1118 wine or lees and throw it in the mead; that might have a better chance of eating through the rest of the sugar.

Back