WineXpert Kit Taste in Other Kits or just a WE issue?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I dropped by George's shop today to get some supplies and labels. Joseph was there and shared a WE Selection Original Pinot Noir he made in 2003. It was very good and I could not detect any kit taste. He said that he made a Selection Original Merlot the same year which has kit taste. Now I'm really mystified. Certainly, being patient and aging for a long time helps the kit products. Congratulations to Joseph for his wine and his patience in aging it properly!

I finally think I know what this "kit taste" is. I tasted it in a couple wines I've sampled. Kind of a sweet taste. I didn't find it offensive, just a bit out of place.

I think you've got it. Tim Vandergrift has described it as a Jolley Rancher candy flavor. I hope nothing I post suggests that the taste makes wine undrinkable. It is just something some of us detect and want to reduce or eliminatebecause it is, as you say, out of place.Edited by: dfwwino

I've noticed the slightly sweet taste in alot of red wine kits but most all I've made was WE. I do let mine age (2 yrs for reds)and it often does not go away. I haven't noticed it in any of the kits with grape packs though so now I'm sticking with those. I'll be trying MM for the first time this year (the Meglioliand Fresco if I can get it) and I'm hoping theirs won't have it.The taste isn't objectionable to me and it seems to be a plus tothose folks that don't normally like red wines. But I want a big red to taste like I expect it to.

dfwwino said:
I think you've got it. Tim Vandergrift has described it as a Jolley Rancher candy flavor. I hope nothing I post suggests that the taste makes wine undrinkable. It is just something some of us detect and want to reduce or eliminatebecause it is, as you say, out of place.

I detect it moston the nose. Sort of like cotton candy and pixy sticks. I have tasted this in most Red kits to varius levels. I have not yet done any MM or Ken Ridge kits.

Time seems to lessen it dramatically (about 14 months or so kickes it down pretty dramatically)

I am glad it's just not my wife and I. The first 2 WE kits I made
had the smell and I don't get it in the taste too much. But the
smell really puts me off. I made a CC Cab and WE Pinot Grie
where I don't get the smell. I am new at this so I will try
other brands and see if they have it too.

I have not had anyone say they detected the kit taste in the Mosti Mondiale line. If anyone has, please let me know.

I was at a RJ Spagnols RQ tasting in November. They had commercial wines in the style of the upcoming release. And they had last year's RQ. I preferred the RQ reds overthe commercial examples. The whites were a tie. My experience was the samelast year for Winexpert. I like the kit winesmuch more than thecommercial wines.I recall the RJ and WE wines tasting more similar to each other than to the commercial wines. Does that mean I can detect "kit taste"? Probably. It could also be that I prefer the kit wines over the relatively inexpensive plonk being served up.

Welcome beaglzrule. I don't know anything about KT but from what I have read here It should taste sweet. Kinda like Jolly Rancher candy. I don't think that is what you are talking about. There are people here that can explain it better then I can.

How many of those beaglz do you have. Here is our latest addition.
100_1342.jpg

dwfwino,

Thanks for starting this thread. It has been interesting to see the thoughts of others on this subject.

We are two of those who can detect KT and to us it makes the wine
undrinkable so we are most interested in making kits that don't have it.

We started out in March with upper end WE kits and since we like reds
have made more reds than whites. All of the WE red kits(4) we have mad
and tasted have KT. The two WE whites had some at first but are now at
6 and 8 months very drinkable - even delicious.

We started experimenting with Mosti AJ last summer making mostly reds
so none of them are ready but KT does not seem to be as strong in them.
I'm not sure I would say it is totally absent though. HOwever, our one
MM AJ white does not have KT.

What I have decided to do is go with the Mosti line for most of 08 wine
making, adding only one WE kit, but including an excursion into the RJS
line with a couple of trials. Our WE reds will sit most of this year.
On the other hand, I find myself opeing the WE Fr Chard pretty often.
Maybe another of those is in the cards for 08 too.

Jack on Rainy said:
dwfwino,
Thanks for starting this thread. It has been interesting to see the thoughts of others on this subject.

We are two of those who can detect KT and to us it makes the wine undrinkable so we are most interested in making kits that don't have it.

We started out in March with upper end WE kits and since we like reds have made more reds than whites. All of the WE red kits(4) we have mad and tasted have KT. The two WE whites had some at first but are now at 6 and 8 months very drinkable - even delicious.

We started experimenting with Mosti AJ last summer making mostly reds so none of them are ready but KT does not seem to be as strong in them. I'm not sure I would say it is totally absent though. HOwever, our one MM AJ white does not have KT.

What I have decided to do is go with the Mosti line for most of 08 wine making, adding only one WE kit, but including an excursion into the RJS line with a couple of trials. Our WE reds will sit most of this year. On the other hand, I find myself opeing the WE Fr Chard pretty often. Maybe another of those is in the cards for 08 too.

Do you have any experience with Cellar Craft reds? I have read their great and have one that I bottled about one month ago and then one ready to bottle next week. I'm anxious to see how prevelant KT is in those...I'm hoping for not!

I have a Cellar Craft Red Mountain Cab bulk aging and I can't taste it in there at all. I haven't had any problem with whites, just reds. To me there seems to be less KT in the kits with the grape skins but maybe that's just me.

As I stated on another thread, I'm really glad to see this issue addressed. I had quit making kits over a year agosince the last time I was on this site the official posture seemed to be that "there is no such thing as kit taste". Since that "jolly rancher" taste and smell was clearly present to me and my family in every red kitI made [six], I began to doubt the tasting ability of everyone who was claiming that kits could produce quality wine. I've got six kits worth of red wine that is all at least eighteen months old and I guess I'd better bottle some of it and try it out. There were times when I had considered pouring it out to free up room in my cellar.

I have not detected any "wine kit" taste in the WE kits, orwith any of the other brand kits. However, I expect to purchase a MM kit shortly so myevaluations of the other brandsmay change.

Since adding water to the kit winesis a common denominator in the kits other than the all juice kits, is it possible the quality of the local tap water could have a bearing on the "wine kit" taste?

I'mwondering if using bottled waterwould improve the quality of the finished wine in an area where water qualitymay be suspect? If one were to have used bottled water with a kit/kits that produced the "wine kit" taste, itwouldbe one less factor to consider.

I dont think you are sensitive to the "KT" as W.E. kits are the most notorious for this "KT".

Latest posts

Back