WineXpert Kit Taste in Other Kits or just a WE issue?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Great photos of the beagles.

I'm sorry I disappeared the past two months. We moved into our new house. Between not having internet service for three weeks while ATT figured out whether it provided internet service to my new home and unpacking and completing endless honey-do's(adding shelving, hanging art, etc.), I didn't have much time for online fun. But life is back to normal, so it is great to be back.

I have not detected any KT so far in sampling the MM fresh juices I made in Oct. 07 or the MM Castel Del Papa I made in Oct. 07. I am getting ready to rack an Aug. 07 WE Int'l Malbec, so I'll let you know what it tastes like. Back in Oct. 07, I detected kit taste in it. I'll hopefully be receiving my first of three CC limited edition kits soon and we'll see how Cellar Craft fares. Others have said they have not had problems with KT and CC kits. I also bought an MM Renaissance Chianti in Dec. which I need to start.

I have only tried kit wine a few times. At bottling time my RJ Spagnols Malbec had a "different" taste and nose. I just tried it again after being in the bottle 1 month, and I still detect that "different" taste and nose, but not to the extent I remember from bottling time. I did notice the bottle I drank the other night was better twoard the end of the bottle. I attribute this to it being open for a couple of hours.

The other kit wine I've tasted was terrible. To be fair it had only been bottled for a few days. It was my Parents first kit of a Reisling, and it tasted and smelled of sewer gas which people on this forum state was "bottle shock."

My first impressions are that the two kit wines I've tried will really never be very good kit taste or not. My parents and I just bought 4 more kits from George, so I hope they turn out better. I really would like to end up with some wine I do enjoy drinking from these kits. I'm not looking for perfection, but I don't want my wines to have any kind of "different" smells or tates. I really hope I haven't spent over $700 just to find out I don't like this stuff.

As Jim Croce used to sing, "Time In A Bottle," will make a big difference. We never rush wines into the bottle and then we age it as long as we can stand it. It really doesmake a big difference.

PolishWineP said:
As Jim Croce used to sing, "Time In A Bottle," will make a big difference. We never rush wines into the bottle and then we age it as long as we can stand it. It really doesmake a big difference.

Ah, the memories. I used to drink wine in a little place in San Diego called "Croce's."
smiley2.gif
Yes, same relation.Edited by: onin24eagle

I think we need a song "Time in a Carboy." I can't manage to get the wine from the carboy to the bottles.

I agree with the comments on time or aging.

It does deminish the KT to a degree.

I just opened a WE 2005 Limited. So it has had some time to develop.

My observation is that the KT is slight but is still there.

I have seen some MM commnets...is it true that these just plain Do Not have any KT?Edited by: ras1

Ras1,
I have an MM which was started June 10, 07. Kit taste has been evident but much less so that WE premium kits started March, April and May of '07.
Last week opened another of the June 07 MM. Kit taste gone andfound it to be some very nice wine . I would buy another of those kits immediately if it hadn't been discontinued. I made it for summer drinking this summer but it may not last that long!
smiley2.gif

uavwmn said:
Jack, just curious as to what was the MM summer wine??
It was an MM All Juice Chardillon a blend. You may recall it enjoyed a brief moment of popularity in the commercial wine world a few years ago and I found I liked itas summer drinking so I tried it.

Latest posts

Back