Kit Recommendations

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zog

Supporting Members
Supporting Member
Reaction score
After several months on crutches, I'm finally ready to start my third kit. My first was a Vino del Vida Valpolicella which came out okay, but not great. Second kit was a Cellar Classic Chardonnay that I'm quite pleased with. Seems like the extra money for the higher end kit was well worth it, so I'd like to try an even better kit. I haven't yet tried a kit with raisins or skins.

I'd like to make another Italian red. Any suggestions?

It's mostly a beer place, so they only stock a few RJ Spagnols and Orchard Breezin'. But I think they can get any RJS and perhaps other brands. There's another store about 1 1/2 hours drive that carries Mosti Mondiale.

Zog:

If you want to jump to grape skins, the Cellar Classic Winery Series is highly recommended (right Wade?) and comes with wet grape skins. I have preferrred the Cru Select line to the regular Cellar Classic line, but both are good. You might want to try the Cru Select Valpolicella Ripassa (comes with dried grape skins).

Remember if you jump to grape skins you should be aging the wne for quite some time.

Steve

The RJS Grand Cru International Brunello won many medals last year - it is a 12 litre kit with grapeskins and is great value for the money.
Other great value kits are the Limited Edition/Restricted Quantity kits which come out every winter - ask your retailer about them; they make wonderful wines.

Thanks for the tips. I had to buy a bottle of Brunello because I wasn't familiar with it. Delicious and pricey.

One additional question, how long is the minimum aging for a kit with grape skins?

Id say minimum of 8 months but even thats cutting it short. cpfan is right that the Winery Series is awesome and also the Cru Select Valpolicella. Id say the best of all these is the RJs Winery Series Super Tuscan.

Id say minimum of 8 months but even thats cutting it short. cpfan is right that the Winery Series is awesome and also the Cru Select Valpolicella. Id say the best of all these is the RJs Winery Series Super Tuscan.

I was looking at the Super Tuscan the other day online, I'll have to give that one a try sometime soon.

Latest posts

Back