Kit Instructions re Racking to Secondary

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Drez

Reaction score
I read one should always follow kit instructions but is there any benefit to leaving the wine in the primary after its at or below 1.000?

I read one should always follow kit instructions but is there any benefit to leaving the wine in the primary after its at or below 1.000?

I know some people do on here. As for me I'm still a newbie at making wine so I follow the instructions as closely as possible. I rack out of primary once I get below 1.010. Also make sure you degas fully! I didn't the first time and it's becoming a big hassle!!

It is ok to ferment dry in the bucket if you keep a close eye on it. You could always snap your lid down if you are afraid of oxidation. Just be sure to rack off the sludge in the bottom before too long.

I think the risks might outweigh any possible benefit. At that point the wine probably needs to be racked off the initial lees, plus it's becoming more vulnerable to oxidation unless the primary is sealed tightly (and airlocked).

I always ferment to dry in the bucket. Just know to snap the lid down with airlock at about 1.020 to keep the C02 trapped under the lid to blanket the wine from 02. Also be careful about what fining agents are used as far as sediment goes because some fining agents require the sediment to be raked over as they need this sediment to attract the rest of the sediment for clearing purposes. If this is the case just stir it back up a little before racking to carboy. I find letting it finish in primary goves it much more of a chance to actually finish fermenting due to not racking and leaving behind too much viable yeast thus making th little bit left struggle to do their job which can aslo stress out that yeast causing off flavors and also H2S problems.

Latest posts

Back