K-Meta Question

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bovinewines

Reaction score
I have a question...

I've been sanitizing everything they way I'm supposed to...but I can't help but "smell" the residual k-meta in my wine. Will this "balance" out once I bottle?

Should I rinse my equipment after its been sanitized?

Am I not waiting long enough to let everything dry before using?

No need to rinse or let equipment dry as the small amount of sulfite solution on your equipment will not cause an issue. Of course if there is a puddle in your primary or carboy then that could be a problem. I give everything a good shake or dump before using so it no more than just wet. This hold true for bottles before filling after sanitizing.

What stage of your wine are you smelling the residual K-meta?

Right now I'm trying to bottle....I think it'll settle out...

I just racked in prep to bottle and I'm not getting as strong of a smell....probably the sulfer that gets transfered using the wine thief.

When you sanitize the wine thief, hygrometer, and test cylinder you are adding a relativly huge amount of sulfite to the small sample of wine. If you do not plan to return the sample to the wine then only sanitize the thief and drink the wine after testing. Since I usually return the wine to the carboy (minus a sample) I sanitize everything, but the contribution of sulfite to a 6 gallon carboy is negligible.

Latest posts

Back