K-Meta: How much powder to use?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Winemanic

Reaction score
Hi,

Finally I was able to get half a pound of K-Meta from a chemicals supplier. It is in powdered form. How much of a teaspoon would be equal to 1 Campden tablet?

Thanks!

Hi,

Finally I was able to get half a pound of K-Meta from a chemicals supplier. It is in powdered form. How much of a teaspoon would be equal to 1 Campden tablet?

Thanks!

For sanitizing, use 3 TBS of KMS powder per gallon of water. To protect your wine from unwanted nasties and oxidation, 1/4 tsp of KMS powder per 6 gallon batch.

Hi,

Thanks!

I'd like to mention something you didn't ask about. K-meta has a tendency to absorb moisture and may harden. It's best to store it sealed, in a cool dry place, particularly if you aren't planning to use it frequently.

For sanitizing, use 3 TBS of KMS powder per gallon of water. To protect your wine from unwanted nasties and oxidation, 1/4 tsp of KMS powder per 6 gallon batch.

Thanks John! My bad I didn't wait for a reply and added a little more than 1/4 tsp to my 6 liters of strawberry wine that had had a stuck fermentation, and was restarted with the yeast I cultured from the grapes recently. It has stopped fermenting. I guess I'll wait till it wears off, then try to restart the fermentation.

:ib

I'd like to mention something you didn't ask about. K-meta has a tendency to absorb moisture and may harden. It's best to store it sealed, in a cool dry place, particularly if you aren't planning to use it frequently.

Thanks Tony for sharing a useful piece of information. Finding a dry place is a problem for now as the climate is very humid these months. Anyhow, I wouldn't bother too much, as I now know where to get it and it ain't expensive... just about a dollar for 1/2 a pound (250 g)

Back