WineXpert Just starting...Merlot suggestions?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ljcjd

Reaction score
Hi, I'm completely new to this. I was at a wine tasting and met some people who have been making wine for several years with amazing results. I enjoy wine and thought I'd give it a try. They purchase oak/vintage equipment and I didn't see any listed here. I'm about to make my preliminary purchases and wonder what you "pros" suggest. I'm willing to make a substantial investment of time in the process and want to invest for the long term. Any suggestions? Thanks

Welcome to the forum and glad I was able to get you started. Remember, if you have any questions along the way, you can:

1. Call me,

2. Send me an email, or

3. Post your question here.

However you choose, we will all be ready to assist you in your new hobby.

Welcome to the forum. Your question regarding Merlot is quite a coincidence. On October 3, 2004 I bottled the Winexpert Selection Merlot and this evening I opened two bottles. My friends commented that it tasted as good as $20 a bottle Merlot. I would have to take their word since I don’t buy $20 a bottle Merlot. It was certainly better than the $8-10 that I do spend and I do expect it to get even better with time. On February 20 of this year I started the Winexpert Estate Stags Leap Merlot and have great hopes for this.<?:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" />

In general, kits containing more juice (15+ liters) will make a better wine. However, taste and therefore recommendations are very subjective. I may settle on one of these two kits as being “my” Merlot or I may try another kit manufacturer. Until I have made them all, I will never know which one is best.

Bear in mind as I make my suggestion that I am a newbie and not a “pro”. My suggestion is to pick one and get started. Once it is in the bottle make another red or a white and so on and so on and so on. When the first has been six to eight months in the bottle, taste it. If it is not exactly what you are looking for, try a kit with more juice or one from another manufacturer. By then you will have some experience, and you may want to tweak the kit by boosting the alcohol content or bulk aging with oak, whatever suits your taste.
As the winemaker, you have an advantage over the commercial wineries. You need to make a wine that meets your expectations not the masses. Experience and this forum will get you there. The problem that I have with this hobby is that there are so many wines and I have so little winemakingspace.Welcome aboard.

ljcjd, Welcome Aboard!
smiley36.gif

You may notice as you read throught the posts, we kinda "joke" alot with each other, and sometimes go off track! Forgive Us, we'all just having such great fun here!

We really are very serious about our hobby in winemaking. Here we learn and share our experiences, downfalls, and excitements in a very open and casual way..and hope that you do too!

Welcome to the forum, ljcjd!
smiley1.gif
We need all we can get.
smiley2.gif

Visit here often please. We will help you make wine, so that you can in turn help others.

smiley20.gif

Welcome to the forum. Hope you have fun in your new hobby and we'll do our best to help when you have a question.

Chris

Thanks for the welcome everyone. I ordered the "third kit" from George and a "higher end" Merlot concentrate. I hope to make my first batch this weekend. I am thinking about ordering whatever I need to get a couple of other batches going so I have a variety to offer friends and family this summer at my annual family reunion. I'm feeling pretty confident with all this help. Thanks so much...I needed an interesting ( and rewarding ) hobby. Laurie

Hello Laurie!

Welcome to the forum! This is a great hobby, which you can add all sorts of your own personality if you'd like. Once you have a few kits under your belt, you should try some country wines. I am not sure where you're located, but there are always some U-Pick farms out your way -- which makes great country wines. Glenvallis one of the best country winers (hehe) around, so you've got a great resource for that. He's helped me a lot when I was stuck with mine.

And of course, there are so many (combined) years of experience here, you're sure to make the best wine you can.

Welcome aboard!

Martina

Don't let Martina fool ya she has some knowledge herself and George is real good he will let you add or subtract things from his kits to help custom fit to your needs. I posted here for about a month before I bought a kit and everyone here is great and helpful. Started my first kit on 3/23/05 and have loved every minute of it so far even the cleaning off of all the labels on the three case's of wine bottles and you can taste every time you check SG it great I love it.
smiley17.gif

Latest posts

Back