Just started the Riesling Traminer blend today!

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skyfire322

Reaction score
I was a bit nervous at first since I haven't made any wine since April, but it all came back to me after a few minutes. :) I decided on R-HST yeast since it has a larger temperature range (~50-80 degrees) which will give me a little buffer just in case it gets a little warmer.

The juice did smell a bit like apple juice and was a darker, almost honey color, but I'm sure once everything goes into effect, it'll lighten up. The juice is at 72 degrees, ambient temperature is a cozy 68, and starting SG is 1.100.

The one thing I'm wondering about though; that strain of yeast apparently is low foaming and has a short lag time. Would that indicate that it will ferment faster than others, and to keep a much closer eye/check numbers more than once a day?

I don't think that you will gain much by checking more than once a day. Are you concerned about timing your nutrient addition, or another consideration?

I think the main thing I'm concerned with is nutrient addition. I know general practice is 3 grams right after lag time, then 3 grams once at 1/3 (around 1.056 for this one) but it's when lag time is finished that I'm a bit confused about. I'd hate to add it in too early or too late.

I think the main thing I'm concerned with is nutrient addition. I know general practice is 3 grams right after lag time, then 3 grams once at 1/3 (around 1.056 for this one) but it's when lag time is finished that I'm a bit confused about. I'd hate to add it in too early or too late.

I add my end-of-lag-phase dose when I start to see foam in whites or when I start to see a cap form in reds. It doesn't have to be super precise.

Latest posts

Back