"Juni" Wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MedPretzel

Reaction score
I've started a juniper wine tonight! Woowoo!

9 # sugar, 5 gallons water, 1 pound juni-berries (juniper), dried, from www.oldtimeherbs.com

mmm..mmmm...mmmm!!!! Smells like gin!
smiley2.gif

Added sugar, boiling water and juni-berries this evening. the rest goes in tomorrow. Will keep you posted!

Woowoo! This is my neighbor's fave wine of mine. She's quite the delicatesseur, so........
smiley36.gif
smiley2.gif
I made 1-gallon of it last year, and she wants more! My first request!

Woowoo!

smiley36.gif

Juniper wine:

I added Montrachet yeast, acid, nutrient. More on that in future posts.

SG 1.090

Temps in the basement: 67*F.

I'm undecided if I'm going to crush them junipers in my hands when I rack into the carboy, or if I'm going to let them drip-dry through a collander. I have a few days to ponder that thought, though.

2005-12-29_174934_2005-12-29_juniper.jpg

pH: 3.47

Seems like I'm having difficulties with the yeast. Moved the concoction to a warmer location.

Edited by: MedPretzel

I have had a similar problem with the last 2 batches I have started. I used 71B-1122 and it didn't take off, then I pitched a D-47 and the next day it was going like crazy...

After about 2 hours after I've added it, it's foaming a bit. I just sprinkled it on top for right now (like I did with the Montrachet, but oh well!!!), and it's already showing signs of life.

I must have gotten bad yeast or something. (Not from George, but from my local guy) Another lesson learned the hard way.

Latest posts

Back