July 2014 Wine of the Month Club

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
From what I'm reading, it's recommended to add 2 to 4 oz per 5 gallons of wine.

Based on that, I'd start with 1/4 to 1/2 oz and wait two weeks and taste it to see where I am.

Well...starting my experimental batch has been delayed by me making a batch of mustang grape wine. Hopefully I will get my experimental batch started this week!

Mead in July Update

Five days after pitching the yeast the SG is now at .998. So I have racked it from my fermentation bucket to my gallon jug and a 750ml bottle to finish fermentation.

20140718_095312.jpg

I've been working on mustang grape wine. Have an old old recipe that is really good. No chemicals or yeast needed.

Finally got started on mine today.

Red Grape Wine with Mesquite Chips

Red Grape Juice Concentrate - 1 Can
Campden Tabs - 1
Sugar added - 2 lbs
Pectin enzyme - 1/3 tsp
Yeast nutrient - 2 doses - 1 tsp
Water - 1 gallon
Mesquite Chips - 1/2 oz
Raisens - 3 oz
Acid Blend - 1 tsp

Will post pics tomorrow when I pitch yeast.

blackspanish,
I have never made wine from concentrate alone, so check on this, but I'm pretty sure they use 3-4 cans of concentrate per gallon, rather than just one.

Added 3 extra cans of grape juice concentrate today. Upped the SG to 1.116. Means about a potential 15.9% ABV. Pitching Premier Cuvee yeast.

chips I would use at least 1oz /gal.in primary. It would depend on flavor of chips (eg french,american etc) to wine type

Hey Folks!
I know it's a day or two early, but I'm going to get the August thread started :) I've got a batch started which the yeast won't be pitched into until the 1st ish, so here we go!!

Mead in July Update

After a final SG of .994 I added potassium metabisulphite, potassium sorbate, and sparkolloid and let it settle for 2 weeks. Then I racked it and it was perfectly clear. So I decided to back sweeten with the raw honey to get a SC of 1.010. Now it has a hazy look. Guess I will give it 3 months to see if it clears up.

20140804_122830.jpg

Mead in July Update

Bottled my mead at the 6 month mark and ended up with only (4) 750 ml bottles and a very small taste. That was due to racking it one more time before bottling.
Starting SG 1.096
Finished SG .994
Back sweetened with raw honey
Final SG 1.010 after back sweetening.
TA: .625%
PH: 3.2
ABV: 14%

We waited 2 weeks after bottling and open a bottle to try our first mead that we have ever tasted. We decided that it smelled like walking across a country pasture in the summer. Maybe it’s that local wildflower honey. Could not decide what it tasted like. Will have to open another bottle in a few weeks to decide what it taste like. Going to try and keep a bottle for the one year mark.

20150109_103201.jpg

Be patient with your mead - ones that I thought were dump-able at a year, have suddenly come around fabulously at 18 months to 2 years. Time cures much of the, ah, strangeness.

Jericurl

We drank the second bottle at about 1 year. It still had that alfalfa smell because the bees were near an alfalfa field and the wildflowers. Don’t think it tasted like the honey that a used to make it. Not sure what it taste like yet. Have 2 bottles left guess I will open one at the two year mark. I would like to try it again with using a different type of honey. Honey in this area is so expensive.

Latest posts

Back