WineXpert Italian Montepulciano

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ARCHER

Junior
Reaction score
Started 6 gallons of Italian Montepulciano tonight. The kit had two packets of oak and I don't know if that was a mistake, but I added both of them. It should be fine.

Also, I racked 1 gallon of Concord, and 1 gallon of White grape wine.Both these wines tasted rather tart, but I guess they'll smooth out over time. If not, I'll try to sweeten them some.

Archer

Many kits come with 2 packs of oak so I am sure this was not a mistake.

The Sangiovese comes with two packs as well.
Have you thought about adding oak beads once it is in the secondary? Or is
that going OTT (over the top)?

Peter,

It's deffinately not "over the top". I have not strayed from the kit instructions on my previous wines, but probably will try more oak during the bulk ageing phase. I've been a little timid about overoaking in the past. My tastes tend to favor the oak anyway.

I've been wondering what a little added oak will do for my Selection Chianti kits. Do any of you have any experiences with adding extra oak.

Archer

I seriously believe the people making these kits know best how much oak the wine will benefit best from. Myself, I would stick to whatever is provided in the kit

Latest posts

Back