WineXpert It has stopped!

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JohnnyK68

Reaction score
Fermentation has seemed to stop at this point. Tomorrow will be 14 days since I statred this wine. If the gravity is below 1.000 should I rack and stabilize it now? Just waiting to get my Fizz-X from George before I do it though, I am not stirring all that by hand...LOL.I am thinking so, but didnt know if it was too early. Thanks.

Wait for the Fizz-X. You will be more thorough with it. The extra few days will help. You can check the SG today or tomorrow and record it. Check again 24 hours or so later and if it is the same(be sure the temp is the same), it is done if about .994 or so. Wait until you get the stirrer and then do it's next steps. Be sure to check it. It may or may not be done that soon-depends on temps, etc.

Temps have been a dead steady 72* all along. I did rack a little early after the primary and when I did it took off like a rocket for a few days (4) in the secondary. I'll record a reading today and see where I am at.

Its .994. I think with a little aging this is going to be a decent wine. It wasnt as bad as I thought it would be as far as taste goes right now. (Of course I drank the test cylinder after taking the reading) If this were the finshed product I might be a little disapointed, and I definatley think I need to top with a like wine and not water, but I think its going to be pretty good once its done and sits 3-6 months and longer.

I think it has stopped but you need to do the consecutive readings to be sure. I agree with you on topping up with wine, not water.

When you come to bottling it, the last bottle will probably end up a bit cloudy as you come closer to the lees. I call that 'muddy bottom'. It's the stuff I keep and top up with on the next batch.

JohnnyK68 said:
Its .994. I think with a little aging this is going to be a decent wine. It wasnt as bad as I thought it would be as far as taste goes right now. (Of course I drank the test cylinder after taking the reading) If this were the finshed product I might be a little disapointed, and I definatley think I need to top with a like wine and not water, but I think its going to be pretty good once its done and sits 3-6 months and longer.

Good Lord man, what are you going to take the next test in if you drank the test cylinder. That must have gone down a little hard. I don't even want to think about later........
smiley36.gif
smiley5.gif

Of course it will improve with a little age.

Latest posts

Back