WineXpert island mist kit in 5 gal carboy?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kansas-sailor

Junior
Reaction score
My local retailer told me that if I wanted my kits to have a little more kick and still the same balance and sweetness, to primary a six gal batch then put it in a five gallon carboy and save any remaining for topping off so I am not using water for topping. Just wanted to tap your minds and see if you have heard of or done this. Heard of the sugar and f pack deals. Any other suggestions? Don't want jet fuel just a lil more kick lick 9%

I'd quickly get a different local retailer.

5 gallons instead of 6 WILL throw off some of the chemistry.

If you truly are set on making stronger Mist wines (although I can't imagine why) add sugar until the SG is in the 1.085 range.

Thank you and I believe I will stick to them the way they are there is a reason I buy island mist, I enjoy them only though about raising alcohol content because of the FEW critics that tell me that's not wine.

What you are describing really won't change your wine profile since you are fermenting at the full 23 litres in the bucket and then racking to smaller secondary + bottles? and then using your bottles/jug to top up and presumably drink what you don't need for top up. Make sure you use airlocks on your bottle(s)/jug or whatever you use for the extra so it can complete fermentation safely.

See that's what threw me when he said ferment the full 6 gal kit. Thanks for proving I am not insane in thinking this sounded odd

I have to add I tasted a sangria zif blush kit today that had 3lbs of sugar added in the beginning and it tasted very nice. So I might try that on my next deep flavor wine.

Latest posts

Back