Is there such a thing as too large a primary

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

theTheme

Reaction score
I'm getting a second primary bucket and I can't decide what size to get. I have a 2 gallon that came with my kit, but I'm already thinking about making larger batches. My thought process was to buy one large enough to make the largest quantity of wine that I might want to make in the future (get a least a 6 gallon in case I want to make kit wine, but then hey, why not get a 7.9 gallon in case the kit makes 6 gallons of wine?).

So my question is, aside from the practical inconvenience of having a huge bucket with potentially a small amount of liquid in it, will this harm a primary fermentation? Are their concerns with air, surface area exposed, falling headfirst into a 7.9 gallon bucket?

I have 2 25 gallon vats...and have made as little as 12 gallons in it as a primary...To me the primary means just a vessel to hold what I will later rack to a smaller holding tank.

I would start with a 6 gallon carboy if you are planning on making larger batches of wine.
Once fermentation is complete, unless you are planning on putting your wine (usually reds) through Malolactic fermentation (MLF), you need to rack to a carboy that is appropriate for the volume of the wine that you are racking, leaving as little head space as possible, usually 2 inches or so, and stabilize your wine with Potassium Metabisulfite (Meta) in order to prevent spoilage.
Too much head space spells disaster, I recommend a glass carboy as the "secondary", oxygen can permeate through plastic buckets.

Eventually, like most of us, you'll start to accumulate all sorts of carboys, I have a few 3 gallon carboys, all sorts of 5 gallon carboys, and a boat load of 6 gallon carboys, not to mention a half dozen 30 liter fermenters , a few 10 gallon fermenters, a 20 gallon and 32 gallon brutes

You're asking about primary fermentation buckets, not carboys, right? If you're making a batch that starts with 5 or 6 gallons of must, you'll have to have a big bucket or a vigorous fermentation might bubble over. The 7.9 gallon bucket is pretty standard. The headspace in the bucket doesn't matter so much as long as there's a vigorous fermentation going.

I dont think the size of primary matter much...I have done 6 gallon in a 10, and a 12 in a 25 gallon....I use what i can depending on what does not contain wine at the time of need.

I agree with the others. The 7.9 gal bucket will give you room to stir without worrying about spilling over the sides. It also allows for any foaming that might occur. I have used mine for 3 Gal batches of port and it works fine.

Tom is correct: Size matters when it comes to the carboy and the amount of headspace.

Dave

I found that I didn't have enough room in my 7.9 gal primary when making 6 gal batches of cranberry or apple for all the fruit even after pressing. I invested in a 10 gal primary and use for these instead. I found it makes it much easier to stir when fermenting holding the fruit out of the way.

I was pondering on buying maybe 2 of those large blue food-grade barrels for primaries on things of larger batches. Found some at a local flea market for $15. My only issue is that they take up so much space. It already looks like Dr. Crazy's science lab up in my kitchen!

I'm considering a 20 gal brute can but I need to know if you can rack out to carboys easily from the ground? I can't imagine trying to hoist that up full of wine?

I encourage you to consider a 10 gallon BRUTE trash can. The extra 2.2gallons over a 7.8 gallon primary can save a lot of spills and splashes. Check this link out.

Not sure I understand your post? Was that meant for me? I already have a 10 gal can, maybe 12gal. The 20gal can would be so i could do 14-18 gals at once and rack to my demijohn or my 6 gal carboys...

Oops I see that wasn't meant for me sorry guys! Do u rack large batches from the floor? They need a trolly with a jack on it!

Oops I see that wasn't meant for me sorry guys! Do u rack large batches from the floor? They need a trolly with a jack on it!

I start by placing the empty Brute on some cinder blocks. Then add in the must. Most of it can be siphoned out since it's elevated. When it gets to the end it's easy enough to lift as needed (for me anyway)

I already have a 10 gal can, maybe 12gal. The 20gal can would be so i could do 14-18 gals at once and rack to my demijohn or my 6 gal carboys...

When you're making a 10-12 gallon batch, and there's 100-150+ lbs of fruit.. I've filled up my 33-gallon trash can, more than I was comfortable with :)

Last edited:
I start by placing the empty Brute on some cinder blocks. Then add in the must. Most of it can be siphoned out since it's elevated. When it gets to the end it's easy enough to lift as needed (for me anyway)

Thanks why the heck didn't i think of that l! Lol!

Deezil: ya this would be for a varying combo of fruit concentrate vs fruit pks and not to overfill brute can :)

Thanks why the heck didn't i think of that l! Lol!

Deezil: ya this would be for a varying combo of fruit concentrate vs fruit pks and not to overfill brute can :)

Another solution would be to use a vacuum pump of some kind to get it from your primary container into your carboys for secondary/aging.

The All In One Wine Pump is amazing for the money here, and if you cheat a bit and use a larger tube/racking cane to go from the primary container into your carboy (need to drill out the rubber bung they give you just a bit) then you can vacuum up even some fairly large solids without clogging.

Chris

A couple years in a row we processed 2000# of grapes. So that required several 32 gal brutes. But we have a couple 10 and 20 gal brutes for smaller ferments. What we do is set up saw horses with plywood in order to get them off the floor so we can gravity siphon out of them. We also found a great round table with a formica top and folding legs that someone threw out because one of the legs was broken. We picked it up and took over to my brother who brazed the leg back together for us. That table comes in REALLY handy during wine season--we use it every year!! Keep your eye open for good junk!

So if you don't want to have large vessels around, then just make smaller batches! I started with a WE kit and have reused the bucket numerous times content with what I can get in it.. Have bought a lot of juices in the 6 gal buckets and they as well work just fine. Smaller batches (up to 6 gal) will keep you busy with more varieties plus they are more manageable!!

Latest posts

Back