Is there an additive to mimic minerals

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

winesnob

Reaction score
If I'm looking to make a Chardonnay taste similar to a Chablis. Are there additives which I can add to my Chard (Sonoma Dry Creek Valley)?

thanks,
winesnob.

Anybody that wants to, may slap me at this post, but why would you want to take an extraordinary wine like the Dry Creek Chardonnay and turn it into a fairly plain Chablis? If you want a Chablis, you could have save over $50.00 plus shipping. The Chablis comes with an F-Pack for sweetening, but you can opt to leave it out if you want a dry wine, instead.

Please, make the Dry Creek Chard as it is and if you do not like it, I will pay the shipping cost to have you send me all of the bottles and send you a Chablis to replace the Chard.

BTW, the Dry Creek Chard is very similar to a Pouilly-Fuisse and I apologize for being so hard-headed about this.

You are not hard-headed about this George. I had some excellent grand cru Chablis this past weekend and it just got me thinking. If I take an really good Chardonnay like the dry creek, add a touch of oak and a touch of chemicals to mimic the minerality and terrior of the limestone in Chablis, France, it could be very enjoyable.

I haven't had the F-pack Chablis, but a real Chablis is not sweet so I don't think this is what I'm looking for. In my mind the F-pack Chablis would taste like an imposter Chablis you would buy in a jug or a box.

In the end, I should stick to an unmodified kit until I've had at least 5 kits under my belt.

Winexpert makes a French Chardonnay which should mimic a french Chablis complete with minerality and oak tones.

Most other kits that call it chablis or Chamblaise in kit terms mostly try to mimic the 70's version of the California big white wine that was popular then.

I think all I have ever had is the California version, which I thought was rather uninteresting. Looks like I will need to find a real Chablis. Always something new to learn in this business.

George, would it help if I send you a bottle of wine I bought, you can sit down and enjoy it while you hunt for kits which will closely match that wine?
smiley2.gif

The bottle of Chablis I had this past weekend was a 2002 Verget Chablis les Fourneaux. I wish I had more of this.
smiley19.gif

The funny thing is that I made my quarterly trip to the liquor store last night and picked up some different wines to try. Guess I will need to make another trip this quarter to find your bottle.

BTW, bribery, excuse me,samples, are always accepted.
smiley36.gif

George, an excellent pairing for that wine is a 3lb Maine Lobster and a radicchio, strawberry, and bosch pear, and goat cheese salad with homemade balsamic vinaigrette.
smiley32.gif

Just rub it in!
smiley7.gif

My wife and I love lobsters, but Maine lobsters don't grow well in Texas, so a 3 pounder cost about the same as a wine kit. Now, if you can find me a deal on lobsters, I am sure I can find a way to repay the favor
smiley36.gif

Latest posts

Back