Is it stuck if it hasn't started?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SLM

Supporting Members
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I started a MV Rose, pitched yeast 3 days ago using a starter, EC1118 with sugar and Goferm. The starter wasn't very active after 36 hours but I dumped it in anyway. OG was 1.086. There is slight foam on top but after 3 days the hydrometer has barely moved if at all. My room is 68 degrees. I didn't stir the first day but did the last couple of days. How long do you wait before you consider starting over?

slight foam means that it is working and you have some time to practice patience. For laughs you could add a teaspoon of chemical nitrogen and watch the foam, but a slow ferment is better for flavor.

I know the directions say make a starter, but I never have done one with wine. Next time just sprinkle the yeast on the juice. Wine yeast are selected to be low foaming. Again for laughs you could sprinkle some Safale 05 on and watch the foam.

slight foam means that it is working and you have some time to practice patience. For laughs you could add a teaspoon of chemical nitrogen and watch the foam, but a slow ferment is better for flavor.

I know the directions say make a starter, but I never have done one with wine. Next time just sprinkle the yeast on the juice. Wine yeast are selected to be low foaming. Again for laughs you could sprinkle some Safale 05 on and watch the foam.
Early on i sprinkled the yeast on top of the must and it worked fine. Then after doing some research, I discovered using a starter makes a world of difference. After all I did it for my beer and the same principles apply. The starter gives the yeast time to adapt to its new environment. I even add about one third volume of must to the starter.

Back