WineXpert Increasing alcohol levels - Island Mist

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tonyportale

Reaction score
Hello,
My daughter just got me a WE Island Mist Zinfadel Sangria kit for Xmas. I would not buy / make this myself but I'm going to make it cause it came from her. The final alcohol content of this kit is 6.5%. Can I bump this up during fermentation with sugar water and/or another way. I'm not trying to get to 15% but at least to 10%.

Thank you,
Tony

Yes, you can bump it up some without unbalancing the wine. I usually add about 4 pounds of sugar, but off hand, I don't remember what ABV the ends up being. I would guess around 10 to 11%.

There is a method for determining exactly how much sugar to add. It is the Parson's Square. I don't have the URL for it, but others on here will and hopefully will provide it for you.

If you want more ABV, don't hesitate to do this. These kits are really great for Summer parties. Since they won't last long at parties, I usually bag these wine, rather than bottle them. I make 3 or 4 each Spring; all gone by September.

Abv.%sg

:mny MOVING THE SG TO 1.10 AT THE BEGINNING WILL GIVE YOU A GOOD WINE BASE AFTER YOU ADD THE FPAC,THE FPACS ARE STRONG AND LONG IN FLAVOR AND CAN WITHSTAND A BETTER ABV, NO PROBLEM THERE,THE OVER ALL FINISH IS MUCH BETTER IN THESE STYLE KITS(IMOP)...:mny

I will be starting an Island Mist in a couple of days. I have made 2 of these as per the directions, not much alcohol and a bit too sweet.

This one I will bump up the sugar.

I have done multiple kits with extra sugar added. They still turn out nice.

I have made four of the Island Mist kits. In each one I added four pounds of sugar. The final ABV is 10-11%. I enjoy them very much for just sitting around sipping on a sunny summer day.

Simple syurp

NEXT TIME ADD SIMPLE SYURP,BLENDS IN ,TOTALLY DESOLVED........................BETTER REACTION TIME..........:se

And when you are adding the extra sugar or syrup do you add extra yeast to help break down the extra sugar?

And when you are adding the extra sugar or syrup do you add extra yeast to help break down the extra sugar?
Usually not necessary. If you have driven the sg into port & sherry areas then a second package of yeast might be a good idea.

Steve

Hydrometer

:u Knowing what you're shooting for alcohol volume is the key adding more yeast isn't ,just yeast that will keep over the alcohol content ., simple syrup is really the way to go ,for me. That is. :uS

add an measure as you go............ that's a sure way

Adding 7 cups of dextrose (corn sugar) will increase the alcohol content by about 3%. I recommend dextrose because it is a mono sacchyride and is easier for the yeasts to break down. (regular sugar will work however.) You can check the potential alcohol by testing the SG with a hydrometer before pitching the yeast. (I won't explain how to measure it as there are probably a dozen posts in other threads that will explain this in detail.)

The advice that I found before making mine was to add 1/3 to 1/2 of the fpac to the primary. I added around 1/2 which resulted in a starting SG of 1.070. It fermented to 0.995, so my ABV ended around 10%. I did end up backsweetening a little in order to hit our taste. At 10% it is a VERY easy drinker and my friends have been clamoring for it.

I always run up the alcohol in my Island Mist kits. I get dextrose (aka corn sugar) and run the SG up to 1.070. I have found this is the best spot and give the wine more balance. Corn sugar dissolves easily and is much easier for yeast to digest. I like this much better than making the syrup solution.

I always run up the alcohol in my Island Mist kits. I get dextrose (aka corn sugar) and run the SG up to 1.070. I have found this is the best spot and give the wine more balance. Corn sugar dissolves easily and is much easier for yeast to digest. I like this much better than making the syrup solution.

Thank you,
I'm going to head over to my wine supplier and get some. How much would I add to the fermenter when I add the kit juice / water to achieve that approx. SG of 1.070
Do I dissolve it directly to the mixture and stir it in?

Thank you,
I'm going to head over to my wine supplier and get some. How much would I add to the fermenter when I add the kit juice / water to achieve that approx. SG of 1.070
Do I dissolve it directly to the mixture and stir it in?

Put your kit together as directed. But add your corn sugar before you pitch your yeast. I add the corn sugar usually 2-3 cups at a time and take a reading after each addition. No need to mix it with water for it dissolves easily.

Good luck!

Put your kit together as directed. But add your corn sugar before you pitch your yeast. I add the corn sugar usually 2-3 cups at a time and take a reading after each addition. No need to mix it with water for it dissolves easily.

Good luck!

Thank you for the advice,

If you don't like really sweet wines, you'll probably want to add some of the f pack before fermentation. I never liked really sweet wines; I found that 3.5 lbs of sugar and 40% of the F-pack in the primary worked really well.
Caveat - I found that, at that abv level, mine took 3 months or so to taste good - then it just turned around for the better. Ymmv.

Latest posts

Back