In the Presence of a Genius - Sparkling Wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

the_rayway

Always busy
Reaction score
At the Wine Guild meeting the other day, one of the fellows was waxing eloquent about sparkling wine. He hadn't been able to get his hands on encapsulated yeast in several years and was thrilled to see the MoreWine had it to order.

Another gentleman mentioned that any time he makes a white wine, he siphons off a couple of bottles and makes them sparkling. Kit wine, fruit wine, whatever, he makes it a habit and has a couple of cases of champagne bottles/caps/wires that he uses.

He was saying it was absolutely the best way to go as a standard. He always has sparkling wine on hand, in half-a-doz to a dozen flavours.

I think this man is a genius. I'm seriously considering getting a case of champagne bottles and the accessories just so I can do this. As I like my sparkling wine just slightly sweet, I would likely pasteurize it with the glass bottles to kill the yeast.

Has anyone done this as a habit with their wines? I really think this is genius!

I know that people talk about pasteurizing wine (or beer) in glass bottles but in my opinion the risk is untenable and certainly much greater if you are using bottles that have been used once or twice or more times before. Applying heat to bottles that may have strains and stresses from use and which now that contain CO2 is asking for trouble.

Interesting, I hadn't though of that. Perhaps I could add lactose as part of the sugars as it is unfermentable...?

What if you added just a little bit of sugar like you do when bottling beer (4-5oz per 5 gallons)?

Also, do you think a Grolsch type of bottle (flip top) would work for a sparkling wine?

Was looking at more wine for encapsulated yeast the other day is there another name for it? Or if someone would be so kind to reply with the link I would appreciate it! Been making champagne the hard way. Tried the fiz drops but still get sediment thanks

Ray, just make sure the lips are not cracked or chipped. Remember people use mason jars over and over again in a pressure canner, heat much greater than your champagne bottles are ever going to see. The heat used for pasteurization is much less than for even waterbath canning and champagne bottles are much thicker and sturdier. There are more steps to using the encapsulated yeasts than just dropping them in your bottle, like they have to be wakened up sort of like rehydrating protocol but they are already tolerant of high alcohol. Good luck and make sure you post your results, especially the cork stuck in the ceiling:):) WVMJ

I know that people talk about pasteurizing wine (or beer) in glass bottles but in my opinion the risk is untenable and certainly much greater if you are using bottles that have been used once or twice or more times before. Applying heat to bottles that may have strains and stresses from use and which now that contain CO2 is asking for trouble.

Back