Im trying to buy a small electric vacum pump

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scotty

Reaction score
For de gassing. it sounds like it could be very effective after i rig a guage and bleeder valve to it.

In the meantime, has anyone used a foodsaver to de gass a carboy???

DON'T DO IT!!!!!!!!

I know from experience that it will implode a one gallon jug.

Theres no gauge or way to tell what HG you pulling. If you could hook up a gauge between the unit and the jug and keep it between 15HG and 25 max HG I would say use it, but if no gauge, no use!

jobe05 said:
DON'T DO IT!!!!!!!!

I know from experience that it will implode a one gallon jug.

Theres no gauge or way to tell what HG you pulling. If you could hook up a gauge between the unit and the jug and keep it between 15HG and 25 max HG I would say use it, but if no gauge, no use!

I have ac and refrigeration experience. Also a few sets of guages. I will take your advice about using a guage.

OR
Were you talking about using the food saver

That not the type of gauge I was refering to, just a simple in line gauge should work.

Yea, I was using a food saver bag sealer when I imploded my jug. he gallon jugs are thinner than the carboys and will implode long before a carboy, but a carboy has a lot of wall space if ya ask me...... and glass don't like to bend much.

A single gauge to read what pressures you are at would be an absolute must if ya ask me.

An AC vacume pump don't go much beyond 25 HG do they?

You can get pumps on Ebay. This was copied from a post that one of our guys that bought this on ebay and it had worked great.

The Schuco® Model 130 high volume aspirator and suction
system is simple, portable and reliable. Designed to suit the needs of the
uncompromising professional in the hospital, institution or physician's office,
this durable unit has an ultra-strong lightweight casing and controlled vacuum
regulation from 0-22'' Hg. Voltage is 115/60. Unit is New and comes with
disposable canister. Does not have original packaging. Weighs 12lbs with
empty canister.

I have no experience with this but have heard on "another forum" that is the way to go as you could also rack with this unit also.

20071127_202526_Degasser.JPG

jobe05 said:
That not the type of gauge I was refering to, just a simple in line gauge should work.

Yea, I was using a food saver bag sealer when I imploded my jug. he gallon jugs are thinner than the carboys and will implode long before a carboy, but a carboy has a lot of wall space if ya ask me...... and glass don't like to bend much.

A single gauge to read what pressures you are at would be an absolute must if ya ask me.

An AC vacume pump don't go much beyond 25 HG do they?
I have one that pulls microns but i would be afraid to use it on the glass carboy.
I wonder if i use the food saver and use the pulse mode just to see if the gas realease will ocur.

As i'm thinking , i wont experiment till i can monitor properlyEdited by: scotty

I've used my Black & Decker food saver unit, and all it can pull is about 22" HG, so I've used it before on full carboys. As Jobe can attest to, I don't use any vac unit whatsoever on gallon jugs. I only use it on 3 gallons or more.

I'm looking for an aspirator pump and boiling stones now too.

One of these days we will come up with a combo that does a fool proof job without thinking.]

Meantime it's fun trying ever which way of doing it.
smiley36.gif

Latest posts

Back