Im insecure and need help please

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scotty

Reaction score
I just tested my orange juice winefor acid after degassing.
I used4ml of .1 solution.(not my own) fron the kit.
3ml of wine +4 drops phenolphtaelen.
This result multiplied by .25 gives me an acidity of 1 ((WOW))

It was.65 to .7 before fermentation.

Could it have risen so much?????

we were very carefull with the testing.

my calculations tell me i need to add about3 ounces af calcium carbonate to my 6+gallon batch.

I will be very gratefull for any comments or advice.

I never had a situation where I had to reduce acid before.

Edited by: scotty

The color change on an acid test is at times a difficult thing to judge, Scotty do you have a pH meter to confirm the acid level? I believe it would be a pH of 8.2 when the titration is done.

I dont have a ph meter i will get one but the color change was very easy to detect and it took4 ml of .1 to get it.

The other thing that confuses me is that the acidity went up from the time i tested before pitching untill the fermentation stopped.

I had lots of mistakes in the 2 previous posts. I have corrected the amounts I posted.Edited by: scotty

I am thinking that the acid content increased because of the pulp that was in the juice. Could that be correct?

Scotty how about checking it again with a larger amount of wine? Most test kits want you to use 10 or 15 ml(not much really). Also be sure to use the right formula for the test kit used- they do vary a little to compensate for the concentration of the NaOH. I would suspect the test results- you won't see TA go up in a normal ferment.

I believe there is a possibility that the economy frozen OJ that i used had lots of peel in it.
I am also notorious for thinking one thing and writing down another.
The acid test kit is the one FVW sells I think((yes kit#5400))we followed the direction to the letter.

WE have used it many times With satisfactory results

The result was 1--Lately, i have been asking Rokyb to check my work in all areas.

We just adjusted the acid with calcium and will wait 10 days for it to precipitat in the cool wine room.
pics in a minute

PS
Dont add calcium too quickly.

I hope i will learn not to use anything excepr no pulp juice and not that i made a mistake in testing

Pics coming in a second
http://s35.photobucket.com/albums/d199/slowpoke59ds/wine making/
Edited by: scotty

Back