If you don't like it put it away.......

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vcasey

Reaction score
The owner of Redstone Meadery said this on a podcast once or twice and truer words have never been spoken.

Last year we opened a bottle of a 2007 tropical fruit mel my son and I made with the fruit left over from his HS graduation party. The mel was thin and not much in the way of aroma, taste or anything else. Flat would be a good description. This year we opened decided to open another bottle on his birthday to see if it has improved. What a difference! The mel now has a nice full mouth feel with tropical fruit aromas. The starting SG was 1105 and it finished at 1002 so we decided not to sweeten and I'm glad because the honey finish gave the impression it was sweeter then it actually was in reality. He was very excited it finally came around and wants to wait until next year to open another bottle - we'll see.

Yep, Ive had a few wines that really stunk even after over a year that turned around and came out great, I still have one batch thats approaching 4 or 5 years old and its time tomorrow to try again. Its the Joe M. ancient Orange Mead that I strayed and used wine yeast on. I may consider dumping this one if it still tastes bad to me. I used a few of the cloves and I believe thats what really bothers me.

Wade,

I'm fascinated by your comment about using wine yeast in that JAO mead. I've been using wine yeast, and am satisfied. I guess my tastes must not be as refined as yours. I have a cyser (with some cloves) that's beginning to open up after about a year in the bottle.

Imn not sure it was the wine yeast that did anything, Im pretty sure it was just too many cloves!

I would think if anything the wine yeast would require more aging time. Wade I think you should hang on to those bottles as a reminder for you not to use cloves anymore!

The same goes for darker homebrewed beers too. I did a sweet stout that I didn't like at first because it was too sweet for my taste and didn't taste very balanced between hops and malt flavors. Several months later sitting quietly in a box however it's mellowed out nicely and is quite good.

The virtues of patience will just not go away will it !!

I also made the ancient orange and really can't stand it. I know I don't care for tea with all that spicy stuff so shouldn't have been surprised about the mead. I think I used crushed cloves which probably didn't help. Luckily I only made a gallon. I gave up on mead beforeI ever really started and now I'm ready to try it again. But no cinnamon or cloves this time. I'll probably hit the forum with recommendationsfor something mellow, maybe orange or peach melomel.

Blueberry, blackberry, strawberry, mulberry, you name it it can be done..... Lime orange, peach, pear

Come back to the light Herbenus

Mead is awesome, just not my JAO! I have plenty other meads and my Raspberry Melomel took best Mead in CT last year.

My cyser (the first I have made) is .....ok.... and I know in a year or two more it will be GRRRRREAT!

I am hoping the half that I spiced will even out a little - it has been very ginger-hot.

Aww, shucks, Waldo, I missed you too!
Now that I have made some wine that is good for cooking, but not reeeeally something I want to drink, I am deciding on peppers to make some of your habanero wine!Thinking I will purposefully make cooking wine - like a mixed veggie wine, or a salsa wine?

I was not online for a while, and am GLAD to be back!

I made aReisling (Grapes sourced fromAlsace) a few years ago that just never tasted good, bottled in June of 2009. I had tried a bottle last springand itstill disappointed. Last summer it scored low in a tasting.
The cellar raiders took somethis fall and eveyone came back raving about it. I opened a bottle last week and it was a completely different taste, very good aroma and everything you expect from a good Reisling. What a differencesincelast summer.

Latest posts

Back