Idle musings about screw caps

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
next question is should i invest in a italian corking machine or give myself up to the darkside of screwcaps

next question is should i invest in a italian corking machine or give myself up to the darkside of screwcaps

I guess that would depend on availabilty and cost. But my vote is for screwcaps. By the time it catches on in the states in a few years you'll be our expert to tell us which way to go! LOL

**IF** you have a steady source of similar bottles, new Stelvin (or similar) caps, and an ROPP machine, then go for screw caps.

Otherwise, stick with corks.

Steve

i have always mixed up corked and cap'd. we buy caps and reuse corked from commercial wines. i can easily open up different batches, but IIRC, I can't remember once where one bottle was much different and if it was, what was the cause.

it only takes a few ppm to age wine. most of the 02 in a corked bottle comes in before it's bottled and some is actually squeezed out from between the corks cells when you insert it. also, the article i had read that had the most real facts said that caps will generally have enough 02 to age a wine for 6~10 months or so depending on bottling and then will age very slow after that (something like 1 ppm 02/month). a cork will age wine faster because of the squeezing of the 02 out of it when it's inserted (yes, it's an actual measurable amount) and continue to age after that. a cork allowed something like 10 ppm 02/ month.

i think it's more important of the time it's going to age, type of wine and where the bottle is to be kept.

i did a bit of research on this subject due to us going commercial and made the conclusion, a high grade cork should work and probably be best for any wine, IMO. we like screw caps because we reuse them and you don't need a cork screw when you open them. for my commercial wine, i'm going cork ;)

In NZ..I'm using screw caps..

because recycling corked bottles isn't an option..

everything here is screw.

Allie

I do reuse screw capped bottles ( and the screw caps, well sanitised.)
Allie

Hi Allie (or anyone else),

Can I ask if you did anything special to sanitize the caps? I have some screw capped bottles I want to reuse (for some nonaged/early drinking stuff) and am interested to know if there are any extra precautions to take when sanitizing caps.

Thanks,

Andy

Last edited:
Screw caps also have a lining that I think is what does the actual sealing. Can the lining be replaced or perhaps just another liner put over the old liner?
I've been reusing my clear 1.5 magnum bottles with screw caps. The caps look to be 34MM and I cannot find any new caps to be had anywhere.

Larry

Back