Identify these rootstocks.

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I am trying to fill in some dead gaps in two different vineyards in San Jose CA. Both vineyards have Cab Sauv grafted onto an unknown rootstock. I am cultivating each of the rootstock with hopes that I can get rootstock in the place during this autumn dormancy and then attempt a whip graft next year. I know it seems like a lot of work but I an trying to keep costs low, and also there is something good to be said for keeping the vineyard uniform. pictures of the rootstock to follow soon.

Attachments

• 6645C8D7-96AD-4555-B310-8964C22A243B.jpeg
    6645C8D7-96AD-4555-B310-8964C22A243B.jpeg
    127.6 KB · Views: 22
  • C152704F-FD5A-45EA-8B4D-E398471912B7.jpeg
    C152704F-FD5A-45EA-8B4D-E398471912B7.jpeg
    107.9 KB · Views: 21
Last edited:
Then short of DNA testing, it will take a year or two to actually be able to tell. You need to see leaf shape, top and bottom leaf color, new foliage color, shoot tips, and flowers to really get a positive ID, and even then it can be tough.

I would just get them growing and grafted and into their place, and keep a rootstock future for use.

Wouldn’t take it to heart but knee jerk reaction says it kinda looks like a champinii.

if it’s a pure champinii then the only 2 I know of are Ramsey and dog ridge.

if it’s a inter specific hybrid with champinii then who knows.

any idea how old the vines are? aka different rootstocks were popular at different times not to mention availability which will serve to eliminate possibilities of newer rootstocks

Above was in reference to the second pic the first one looks like a hybrid. Definitely some rupestris in it.

the leaf in your hand seems to bear resemblance to 1103p

The vineyards were planted in 2004. Google Earth Pro is a very useful tool for historical satellite imagery. I could see how the vineyard was failing over time.

My internet searches has also led me to believe the first image is 1103P, or possibly 110R, 101-14

The second image is from very small rootstock growths that pushed from roots that were about 2 feet from the trunk of one of the dead vines. That one is too small for me to identify.

I wanted to make wine, but i turned into a grape doctor!

Last edited:
.,...which will enable you to make better wine! :)

what type of soil do you have? Is your locale typical California? Mild and DRY!!

also are all the rootstocks ok and just the vines failed?

Locale is south Santa Clara Valley. The soil is about a 50/50 clay sand. The apricot and almond trees love the soil but it can get very hard when dry. The hot days, cool nights and long growing season are great for fully ripening cab sauv. Higher in the hills toward the ocean they grow pinot noir.

The soil can hold a lot of moisture, even become waterlogged. Fortunately there is not much rain in the summer to cause that problem.

The vine failure is a mix. Some vines are dead, top and bottom. Some vines I assumed were dead pushed shoots from the scion after I started irrigating, so i can retrain those trunks. One vine that has a dead trunk I dug up the stump to figure out the problem and the roots were alive. Some vines grow so vigorously I have to chop them back every month. It is a mystery.

My working theory is that the vineyards have a zinc deficiency then the vines were stressed by drought and lack of irrigation and died. The vineyard was built on a hillside where the topsoil was cut back to reduce the grade which removes the source of zinc. I assumed the sick vines were diseased and I found signs of eutypa in the cordons. The leaves are small, chlorotic and the canes have short internode spacing. Now I think the actual problem is zinc deficiency due to the how the vines fail in certain areas of the orchard but not other areas.

Last edited:
Hmm....the ones that died out, roots looked okay? Aka no signs of nematode dmg?

another possibility that comes to mind is glassy winged sharpshooter.

until you know for sure and it seems like you wish to salvage as much as possible perhaps execute a quarantine protocol?

since moving everything around is crazy time consuming perhaps just relocate a circular perimeter around the good vines aka remove some potential food sources so if there is a pest at work it will double back outwards to feed off the weak ones.

Try to lock it down with minimum effort until you know for sure. Others may be able to help but I suspect it can be easy to test for pd.

I suspect any lab tech with a microscope can detect the contagion in a declining vine.

you can also utilize the vines you pulled to test out other theories. Plant 1 group and do nothing, another add zinc, another more water, less water etc....so you are accomplishing as many goals as possible while utilizing the same amount of time instead of testing 1 theory at a time; test many. Also I suspect the same lab tech with the microscope would be able to check the roots of the same vine you provide them.

provided you find and destroy the culprit then you have options: scavenge and propagate the cab Sauv back, or plant something else entirely say a local vineyard is pulling or cutting off vines you could score cheap allowing you to both diversify by having 2 varietals and the ability to blend etc.

Just a thought but Id definitely consider enacting some sort of quarantine protocol.

Last edited:
Here is a comparative chart: http://iv.ucdavis.edu/files/24347.pdf

hmmm....

unfortunately all of the possible rootstocks have rupestris in them!

unfortunately all of the possible rootstocks are not very resistant to dagger nematodes which I think are a thing out west.

i looked at more pics but sticking with the 1103p although admit the 101-14 would be a better fit for clay unless you have issues with salinity then the 1103p for sure.

according to the chart

1103p does have issues with zinc uptake as well as potassium

101-14 does not have any issues with zinc but does have issues with phosphorus, calcium and magnesium

here is another link that has a different leaf variant of 1103p. I thought I also seen one resembling this in your pic maybe in the upper left I cannot recall

http://www.irgeler.com.tr/en/sayfa.asp?mdl=sayfalar&id=35

I am currently doing (as of this week) a foliar spray of chelated zinc on some vines to see how this greens up the vines. Then if this shows some effect I plan to try a zinc daub on the pruning wounds. If that does not fix the vines next year I will focus on pests. I do not think the problem is pests because the death of the vines has slowly happened over ten years looking at the satellite photos. At least I have time if it is a pest.

thanks for the link to the rootstock. Good resource

Last edited:
i hope it all goes smooth for ya. If you need anything feel free to pm me.

Latest posts

Back