I screwed up........

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

geek

Still lost.....
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I had 3 batches of wine in bulk aging for a long time (made from grapes).
I am very careful with all my notes and printed the Word document page and placed on each carboy and barrel with the corresponding wine.

Last week I decided to bottle a white wine first and then tackled the 1st carboy which I thought it was a Chilean blend, bottled and added labels.
This is where I got confused, although it sounds simple enough, right?
The other batch was another blend from California as well as the 3rd batch in the barrel.

But now things do not add up because when I removed the printed sheet of paper from the barrel things are not adding up.
One batch was a blend of Carmenere and Cab Sauv, which i thought it was the wine in the barrel but the paper on the barrel is for the 3rd batch.
So I think I bottled and labeled the Carmenere blend as if it was the Chilean Cab Sauv, Merlot blend....totally confused..:ft

Any tasting experts close to me that would be able to tell which wine has Carmenere...:)

I had 3 batches of wine in bulk aging for a long time (made from grapes).
I am very careful with all my notes and printed the Word document page and placed on each carboy and barrel with the corresponding wine.

Last week I decided to bottle a white wine first and then tackled the 1st carboy which I thought it was a Chilean blend, bottled and added labels.
This is where I got confused, although it sounds simple enough, right?
The other batch was another blend from California as well as the 3rd batch in the barrel.

But now things do not add up because when I removed the printed sheet of paper from the barrel things are not adding up.
One batch was a blend of Carmenere and Cab Sauv, which i thought it was the wine in the barrel but the paper on the barrel is for the 3rd batch.
So I think I bottled and labeled the Carmenere blend as if it was the Chilean Cab Sauv, Merlot blend....totally confused..:ft

Any tasting experts close to me that would be able to tell which wine has Carmenere...:)

I can't help you with the taste but man do I fear doing this myself.

I can't help with the tasting either, but I can tell you (for the future) I print out my sheet, similar to what you did, I put a tiny label on each carboy and I only do things with one at a time, totally finish with that one, record what I need to, then move on to the next one. I have about 15 carboys filled at any one time so I have to do this or I am lost.

Varis, Due to similar circumstances I have 30 bottles labeled " Red Surprise " Then just last week I realized my barrel didn't have my note sheet attached. Searched everywhere to no avail. Thru deduction we assumed it was Lodi Cab. Then today found the sheet stuck to the back side of our Venmetric instructions. It was the Lodi Cab, Roy

I think I had the proper sheet on each, maybe the whole confusion is because I have another Chilean blend from 2015 that probably got my cables crossed because I didn’t put a sheet on that specific one....a bit confusing but I will try to reverse engineering and hopefully get what’s what.... [emoji4]

Geek, everyone should have such a problem. :) But for whatever its worth try blind tasting both wines and if your taste buds are anything like mine the wine having what I call a "peasant" taste (like home made as opposed to a winery) to it would be the Carmenere blend. I'm thinking also that the Cab. Sav. Merlot blend would finish smoother than the Carmenere blend. Anyway that's what I would do, then label the wine and not look back. There would be only a few persons that I've given wine to that would know the difference. Good luck!

I've numbered my wines since I first started. I attach a piece of tape with the number on the carboy (like Mike does) and put the same circled number on my notes. When I finally bottle the batch, the notes sheet goes with all my other notes sheets, and each bottle gets that number on a small piece of tape (which I leave on the back of the bottle when I apply a label to give away to friends). I have a "master sheet" hanging so that my wife can find her wine among all my other wines. She has her number memorized (the current one in #34). If a "taster" likes a particular batch, I just ask what number it was to ensure I supply them with a bottle from the same batch, if any still remains.

I use a glass marker to write right on the carboy. On plastic carboys, I do the same as @Kraffty . Barrels are another story, but I keep a barrel schedule tab in my wine log, so the contents of each barrel, when it went in and when it comes out are in there.

I think I am coming to the conclusion that the sheet for the Chilean blend from 2015 was placed on the Carmenere/Cab Sauv blend, hence I bottled this Carmenere batch as the Chilean blend.
I only made a Chilean blend in 2015 and this carboy is still in a corner with just a piece of yelly paper and "Chilean Cab Merlot blend 2015" written on it.....so I think that is the problem.

I will triple check later today and if I'm correct then I guess I' will de-label the Carmenere batch and put the proper label on them.

I use blue tape 2 inch and write SG and temp,date along with other stuff and stick it on carboy.

Back