I need some help!!!!!!

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fivebk

Reaction score
I have been thinking about making a mead, fruit mead,or citrus mead. My wife is totally against it. Ever since we tried a mead from a commercial winery ( which was very bad ) my wife has said that she would never try another (and she has stuck to it ). I would like to make a mead that would change her mind . That's where I need help.If any of you have made an outstanding mead (and I know by reading this topic that there are a bunch of you that have ) I would love to here from you and possibly get your recipe.

BOB

This is a cyser (a type of mead) it is nice, a little different and extremely popular.

Fall's Bounty Harvest
1 gallon
1 1/4 gallons of Apple Juice, Cider or what ever you can get with no preservatives.
3 lbs. honey
5 oz. Dark Brown Sugar
3 Oz. raisins, chopped
5 Oz. dates, chopped
Lalvin D47
And of course your usual yeast nutrient, acid blend, etc

Mix everything together and add your yeast. I added cinnamon sticks (2), clove(1), all spice (1), and med toast oak to mine as well. I stirred a couple of times a day and left it in the primary until the SG reached 1015. Stabilize and back sweeten, if it does not show signs of clearing use Pectic enzyme, add more spice or oak to your taste. My starting SG was 1112 which is about standard (I made this with a group brew and this was about average), it finished at 1001 and I back sweetened just a bit to my taste. Bottle when clear and try to wait at least 6 months, but its better if you can wait a year. Don't tell your wife its a mead, it is a cyser (really, so you are not lying). This can be served chilled or used as a mulling wine.
I have also made this with pear juice and it also turned out just as good. Make sure you use the pear baby juice if you decide to do that and then it will be a mead.
I trimmed this down to a gallon recipe for you and I would recommend that you only make that much especially if you are not too sure about meads in general. Also I have tried 2 commercial meads, the first was awful (and I am being kind), the second was fantastic and I am glad I kept searching.
VPC

You could always try the Joe's Ancient Orange recipe for a quick drinker. (two months) Or some other variant of the Joe's with a different citrus. I've made kumquat and lime in addition to the original recipe. All three came out tasting pretty good. Although the lime isn't done yet, I think its the best of the batches. Glad I made 3 gallons, but upset that I didn't double down for 6.

Last year I made a one gallon batch of blackberry mead(melomel) and have only had one sampling. It was pretty darn tasty. That bottle went pretty darn quickly. I will be opening another bottle soon. Hope to make at least 3 gallons of it this season.

Latest posts

Back