I know it is somewhere

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cindyjo

Reaction score
Hi every one, I am sorry to repeat a question but I have tried a search on this and have not found the answer I need. I finally purchased a spigot for my primary from the closest wine supply place to me ( about 90 min away). I forgot to ask them how big to drill the hole, is there something I can measure?? I guess I can callthem tomorrow but though I would try you all first. Also, how far up to you recommend placing the spigot?? As always many thanks....now where did I put that glass of Pinot G???
smiley2.gif

I place it high enough so that when it is turned down it clears the
surface that it is sitting on with a little extra space to be able to
tilt it a little. I would always measure the circumference of the part
of the spigot that goes in and go with that size but not smaller!

Wade, thanks for ALL your help today. Someday I hope to have a fraction of your wine making knowledge. This batch is my third, as soon as I drill that hole I will start number four a red this time.

Do not over tighten the spigot when you put it on. It just needs to be
fingers snug using 1 gasket on each side of the primary. We always only
have a fraction of our knowledge as ew only use 1/10 of our Brain if
we're lucky.

Edited by: wade

Thanks to George and Wade for their help. We are getting ready to drill that hole as soon as hubby gets home from work. Now the question is do you place the spigot so the nozzle is horizontal or vertical?? I looked at peoples pictures and it seems that some place it horizontal. What is the reason for that??

I keep it horizontal so it is out of the way more but it really doesnt
matter as long as you REMEMBER to shut it off when filling it up!

The pre-drilled primaries come with hole positioned such that if the spigot is vertical the outlet is lower than the bottom of the primary. I keep mine horizontal intil I am ready to use it, then turn it vertical to attach tubing and transfer the wine to the secondary. I have also marked the on and off positions on the primary, as I am tired of drenching myself with K-meta solution!
Edited by: PeterZ

Well gentleman all, the hole is drilled, the spigot attached andthe primary isfilled with my first red. A sangiovese that I hope to make my Christmas Sangria out of. This is also my first kit with oak. God bless the mix stir as that made it easy. Thanks for your assistance. Have a good holiday.

Back