I can't get my brown ale to finish fermenting

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wiccan_Lager

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I picked up a Brewers Best Brown Ale the about a month ago. I got that bad boy fermenting and it stopped about half way through. Hydrometer has been steady at 1.030 for weeks (Starting Gravity was 1.070 or in that range). I tried racking hard, stirring and pitching more yeast but nothing. I know the temp in the room is fine as the other 2 beers were able to ferment without incident. And it's a comfortable room tempurature in my basement. The carboys are off the floor as well.

Is this batch destined for the drain?

Hello everyone,

I picked up a Brewers Best Brown Ale the about a month ago. I got that bad boy fermenting and it stopped about half way through. Hydrometer has been steady at 1.030 for weeks (Starting Gravity was 1.070 or in that range). I tried racking hard, stirring and pitching more yeast but nothing. I know the temp in the room is fine as the other 2 beers were able to ferment without incident. And it's a comfortable room tempurature in my basement. The carboys are off the floor as well.

Is this batch destined for the drain?

Are you sure of the accuracy of your hydrometer? The Brewers best Brown Ale kit has a starting gravity of 1.045 - 1.049 and a final gravity of 1.011 - 1.015
It looks to me like your hydrometer is off by a couple points.

I tend to agree too. a SG of 1.070 would give you a potential alcohol of 9%. If your hydrometer is correct the other thing may be the alcohol killed off the yeast because it is higher than the tolerence of the yeast.
Can you say rocket fuel???

Are you sure of the accuracy of your hydrometer? The Brewers best Brown Ale kit has a starting gravity of 1.045 - 1.049 and a final gravity of 1.011 - 1.015
It looks to me like your hydrometer is off by a couple points.

I tested the hydrometer against water and it was a perfect 1.000 so I don't think it's my hydrometer.

I tend to agree too. a SG of 1.070 would give you a potential alcohol of 9%. If your hydrometer is correct the other thing may be the alcohol killed off the yeast because it is higher than the tolerence of the yeast.
Can you say rocket fuel???

According to the web site here the starting gravity is rather high but the alcohol is def higher (the 7% range).

Last edited:
Back