Hurricane Katrina

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
500 folks heading up here to RI to be housed in some vacant navy housing. If every state helped out everyone would have a place to go and be out of harms way.

Texas has certainly done their part and should be comended...be then again everything is bigger in Texas isn't it!

smiley32.gif

That is what Texans would have you believe, but since I am an Okie, I can't rightly comment! I will say that the Texans have really stepped up to the plate; although, it sounds like every state is taking in some of the evacuees(I hate calling them refugees. It is not what they are!) I find it amazing how the American people come together in a crisis. I wish the media would build on this concept, instead of trying to blame someone. There is plenty of blame to go around, but the average American doesn't care. They just want to help! Isn't that what has made this country so great!

Here in Arizona, my father in law just made the paper, because he just tookin a family of 9 into his house. He certainly has the room. He is a doctor who has this kick ass house on top of a hill. The house has 3 floors, 2 complete kitchens, 4 bathrooms, I think its about 4000 sq feet. So, he is going to house this family, grandma, grandpa, father, mother and 5 kids. Wow, I hope it works out and there is no trouble.

That is wonderful. I, too, hope that he is rewarded for his kindness and generousity. Please keep us informed.

Cool stories. We have about 1500 evacuees in the surrounding area, mostly in Babtist youth camps. Some have opened up their homes to them.

Gass here is $2.88/gallon today.

We have approximately 2200 here in our area and more coming in each day. I concur with you George.Let the media flood the airwaves and print with all the good things that are happening. God knows there is enough horror, anguish, despair andblame to throw around. I think it would be helpful for the "EVACUEES" to see the positive aspect of what is going on.

I agree that everyone who has helped in this tragedy should be commended and be thanked for their efforts.

I hear today that people do not want to come to RI since it is too far from home. I understand this to a point but I fear many did not and will not understand the great danger they face living inNew Orleans as it existed before Katrina. Pumping out the water and replacing houses and shoring up the levees isn't enough. I hope many will find a new home and fresh start to a better life away from a place that will become a part of the ocean by the end of this century unless the right steps are taken and the funds are allocated for this!

I will be really surprised if the city is rebuilt at all. At least in its current location. I think the devestation and contamination is going to be too overwhelming to even consider it.

rgecaprock said:
Sorry for the late reply and thanks for thinking of me but I have been very busy as of late. We didn't evacuate for Katrina but we will be leaving the rig in the morning for Rita.

All is well so far

RAMROD

Has anyone heard from Ramrod......I think he works off shore in the Gulf. I'm sure they are all out of there but I see on the news that the rigs are getting hit...

Hope you are back home in Tx. Ramrod..

Ramona

Good to hear from you Ramrod and glad all is well with you. Keep us posted
smiley20.gif

We better start filling up our empty carboys(if there is such a thing) with water....there isn't any in the stores.

Ramona

Another excellent use for a carboy! Some of my Florida customers suggested the same thing, last year.

Let's hope Rita is not another Katrina. I wish you luck.

Latest posts

Back