Howto make Acidulated Water?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TXWineDuo

Reaction score
Hello Everybody,
We ordered 3 lugs each of Cabernet Sauvignon and Shiraz grapes from FVW ( Thank you George) just trying to be prepared before they get here. Fyi we have the Vinmetrica 300 to do the PH / TA testing.

We are trying to learn to make wine from fresh grapes and have read some things about Acidulated water to reduce the brix if too high. Well I can't seem to find any recipe or equations to make it. We assume that one would use Tartaric acid but how much water to use?

We have other questions about YAN equations too, should they be in another thread?

Thank You.
TXWineDuo

I would check brix and if it is higher than you want, water back to desired brix. Mix the must well, then check pH and decide if acid is needed.

I prefer the Sangee method. Check your brix, then strain off juice from crushed grapes. Reserve this juice to make a Rose wine. Add back acidulated water to replace the sweet juice you removed and your brix will drop but acid will stay high. Sangee is a bit more complicated method, but you will maintain the skin to juice ratio to make perhaps a more intense red.

Thanks Geek, I thought that I read that from Mike before but couldn't find the post.

Now for water type,
Spring water
Distilled water
Reverse Osmosis

My thinking is Spring water.

Latest posts

Back